In need of advice. Any help is greatly appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

love4thegame

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm still rather new to this website so I apologize if I posted this question in the wrong place. I am wondering about my chances of getting into a DO school. I really want to get into Michigan State since I went there for undergrad. I got a 24M (7PS, 10VR, 7BS) on my MCAT, a 3.86 overall gpa, and a 3.9 science gpa. I'm worried I won't get in because the avg MCAT is 26-27. They also recommend retaking the test if you don't get a high enough score. I would retake the test but I am working full time as an EKG technician and I don't have time to study like I did the first time. Has anyone got into this college with a lower MCAT score? Any advice is more than welcome. Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Michigan State University
College of Osteopathic Medicine
Class of ?
Average GPA: ~3.5
Average MCAT: 26-27
(source: http://www.com.msu.edu/admissions/evaluation.html )

Your MCAT is low, but your GPA is much higher than MSU's average. I think there's a good chance they'd balance out.

Your first post in the pre-osteo forum was actually the more correct place for you to ask your question. Why not ask your question on the MSU-specific thread and see what the experts who've been accepted there have to say.

Edit: By looking through the MSU thread and checking MDAPPS profiles under the poster's name, I found two people with an MCAT of 24 accepted by MSU at http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=525707

Last edited:
OP, I actually think your MCAT is okay. Obviously higher is better, but for DO schools I don't think a 24 will kill you, especially in light of your awesome grades! While osteopathic schools tend to have average MCAT scores in the high mid-20s, it is my impression that the range of scores is much greater than allopathic schools. I did not apply to Michigan State, but at the other DO schools I interviewed at, I definitely met people with 24s -- and lower grades than yours.

So apply and don't worry too much. Truly, I think you'll probably get in, and if you don't, you know what to improve on your application.