In need of advice: college decisions and outlook into dental school?

DearSky

10+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I got accepted into my back-up schools: SJSU and SDSU. I also got accepted into UC Santa Cruz and UC Santa Barbara. I was waitlisted at UC Davis and UC San Diego.

As I know it, UCSB is harder to get into than UCSC. The only problem is: UCSB is so far from where I live (Antioch, CA). I'm going to wait until I get the financial package for those colleges, but I'm stuck in a dilemma with some general questions.

- In an outlook of attending dental school or any other graduate school, would it look "bad" to have attended an average UC over a more known UC for its academic rigor? (I.E. UC Santa Cruz over UC Santa Barbara).

- How can I find out which of these schools have a better* biology major? I know I should have done more research into these schools beforehand, but these were mostly reach schools that I applied to in case my top choices (UC Davis and UOP) were rejected.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated =] And I apologize if I posted this in the wrong section

GoodmanBrown

is walking down the path.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
In the forest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I got accepted into my back-up schools: SJSU and SDSU. I also got accepted into UC Santa Cruz and UC Santa Barbara. I was waitlisted at UC Davis and UC San Diego.

As I know it, UCSB is harder to get into than UCSC. The only problem is: UCSB is so far from where I live (Antioch, CA). I'm going to wait until I get the financial package for those colleges, but I'm stuck in a dilemma with some general questions.

- In an outlook of attending dental school or any other graduate school, would it look "bad" to have attended an average UC over a more known UC for its academic rigor? (I.E. UC Santa Cruz over UC Santa Barbara).

- How can I find out which of these schools have a better* biology major? I know I should have done more research into these schools beforehand, but these were mostly reach schools that I applied to in case my top choices (UC Davis and UOP) were rejected.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated =] And I apologize if I posted this in the wrong section
It's been stated consistently by many experienced members that the best school to go to is the one that you'll be happiest and do the best at. Follow this advice and you can't go wrong.

You seem worried that UCSB is too far from home. Go with your gut and put it on the back-burner for now.

Dental / graduate schools will put much, much more emphasis on your GPA, your graduate school standardized test (DAT for dental, GRE for general graduate), and your extra curricular activities (e.g. research, volunteering) than what school you went to.

The best biology program is the one where you can maintain a high GPA while having time to have fun, volunteer, and maybe do a token amount of research. The name on the school is the lowest priority.

Vicviper

Michael De Coro, DMD - AKA Steve McAwesome
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
Visalia, CA
Status
Dentist
Well, having lots of friends who went to small liberal arts schools in my dental school class, I can say that it really doesn't matter very much if you go to a big or small school. Every school gets pretty equalized by the you taking the DAT - so a certain GPA from one school isn't really different from the same GPA at another school. Now, if one person gets a 3.1 GPA and 22 Academic Average on the DAT, and another person gets a 3.9 GPA and a 16AA, it shows that although person with the had a higher GPA, they might not have understood the material as well as the person with the 3.1, so, just to show you that the DAT is the great equalizer.

I think any of those schools would be great, I'm pretty sure both have decent bio programs. I've got people in my class from UCSC, UCSB, UCSD, UCB, UCLA and I'm from UCI. One thing to note, if you go to a school with a supposedly amazing bio program, it might not be that the teaching staff is very good, but that lots of research is done there. This was very true of UCI, who is famous for their Bio Program, but most of the people who teach the classes are research professors, and aren't particularly good teachers.

Oh, I remember reading a paper from the ADA, and it said something like all of the UC's were in the top 50 dental school feeder universities.

DearSky

10+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Thank you so much! I also talked to my parents who agreed that staying near home would be most comfortable and best for me. Although UCSB is a great school, I'm sure UCSC is also just as great--I hope I'll be happy there. XD