IN NEED OF ADVICE>>Robbins Qbook as a Stand-Alone..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dulop

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,

Basically I'm getting really nervous about the big day coming up in 2 weeks. Ive gone through most everything and started this week with a plan to go through Goljan and finish it by tomorrow...While great info is there, it's just taking me forever to get thru and I've only made my way through about 250 pages. I did the subjects I felt weakest on and basically I'm wondering if Robbins Qbook + FA is sufficient for Step1 in those other areas I still need to review. These include endocrine, hepatobiliary, hemo/onc, etc. I've also listened to all these Goljan lectures but just can't bear the thought of slowly making my through RR for 4 or 5 more days...

So how comprehensive and good is Robbins Qbook and should I be fine with that, FA, and UW for my remaining path areas??

I am looking to do well, 245+ on this puppy so honest feedback is appreciated. Thanks sooo much and gl to all.

Members don't see this ad.

hey all,

Basically I'm getting really nervous about the big day coming up in 2 weeks. Ive gone through most everything and started this week with a plan to go through Goljan and finish it by tomorrow...While great info is there, it's just taking me forever to get thru and I've only made my way through about 250 pages. I did the subjects I felt weakest on and basically I'm wondering if Robbins Qbook + FA is sufficient for Step1 in those other areas I still need to review. These include endocrine, hepatobiliary, hemo/onc, etc. I've also listened to all these Goljan lectures but just can't bear the thought of slowly making my through RR for 4 or 5 more days...

So how comprehensive and good is Robbins Qbook and should I be fine with that, FA, and UW for my remaining path areas??

I am looking to do well, 245+ on this puppy so honest feedback is appreciated. Thanks sooo much and gl to all.

I didn't have the luxury of RR Path when I took Step 1 but I wouldn't just bank on Robbins Qbook unless your background in Path is already very strong.

The beauty of RR Path is that it teaches you CONCEPTS in Pathophysiology. And that's the bulk of the exam.

If you really want to know if what you're doing is enough, take a NBME exam (2, 3, 4 or 6).

i hear about people reading RR path from cover to cover. this is an insane prospect to me. You ought to read FA for path (which I'm doing right now) and then any section that seems weak, give RR path a quick looksee. e.g. FA has a crappy little blurb on acute pancreatitis. I know this is not enough, so I read that part in RR path. but there's stuff in RR path that's just too damn much and not really high yield (e.g. the endocrine section where he describes all the weird binding mechanics of calcium to albumin and all that crap). it's too complex and low yeild imho. in summary, use FA, then goto RR path for sections that are clearly lacking (e.g. renal glomerular dz in FA is ****, but it's done very well in RR path in two fantastic tables).

If you get married to the first and only person you ever make humpies with, how do you know what you're missing?

Reading RR path only seems like insanity to those who don't crack it open until a month before step 1. Which to me, that's insane in its own right.

I've done robbins qbook largely twice, once throughout the year, then religiously as prep for our path final. I can't speak to its utility for step I until next Fri afternoon, so I wasn't going to.

But to advise "only read the deficient sections of FA" implies that there are sections of FA that aren't. IMHO, just easier to cut out the middle man. But YMMV, and my assessment of FA grows increasingly more critical the more I have to write in/white out. It's only the standard because there is no competition in that niche.

Members don't see this ad :)
i hear about people reading RR path from cover to cover. this is an insane prospect to me. You ought to read FA for path (which I'm doing right now) and then any section that seems weak, give RR path a quick looksee. e.g. FA has a crappy little blurb on acute pancreatitis. I know this is not enough, so I read that part in RR path. but there's stuff in RR path that's just too damn much and not really high yield (e.g. the endocrine section where he describes all the weird binding mechanics of calcium to albumin and all that crap). it's too complex and low yeild imho. in summary, use FA, then goto RR path for sections that are clearly lacking (e.g. renal glomerular dz in FA is ****, but it's done very well in RR path in two fantastic tables).

I agree. I initially started reading RR Path cover to cover, but it was taking extremely too long. Had to drop it and stick to FA and hit RR Path for stuff I was still confused about. Also listening to Goljan and 2x speed helps going through his lectures faster.

I bought RR Path but switched to BRS Path and don't regret it at all. Of course RR Path is better because it's thicker.

IMO, RR Path is way too comprehensive. It's impossible for you to memorize it all. BRS Path nicely boils it down to a manageable amount of material. Also, BRS Path has practice questions after every chapter (they are kinda easy though).

P.S. BRS path paper >>>>>> RR path paper. I hate super-glossy-shiny paper because highlight ink just doesn't stick.