In need of advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedGrl@2022

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying to medical school MD and DO. I think I am a URM because I am Puerto Rican. I got a 27 on my MCAT (9PS, 8VR, 10BS). I have a 3.78 GPA overall and in the sciences. My major was Biochemistry and my minor was Psychology. I have a lot of research experience (5 years worth) as I currently coordinate clinical protocols at the NIH. I am very non-traditional applicant that will be 28 this year and I graduated undergrad in 2007.

I am applying to: UCONN, Howard, LECOM, PCOM, Netter, UNECOM, Rowan, MSUCOM, maybe GWU and others DO schools in the area

(I have one interview and I hope to have more in the near future... I haven't finished submitting my secondaries... I hope by next week they will all be done if not 90% of them.)

I really want to stay near Maryland/DC area because I am in a serious relationship and his family is here.

I am very interested in some of the schools on my list but others I am unsure about at this time. I need advice with what to do if I get accepted into a school that I do not think is a good fit. Someone told me it is bad to reject an acceptance and then reapply for the next cycle.

I was also thinking about retaking the MCAT in January just in case but now I am thinking about taking a graduate course in neuroanatomy so I would then retake the MCAT in April if needed. Is this a bad idea? Should I not take the course and just focus on the MCAT to take in January. I wanted to take it for my job and to gain a better understanding of the brain and its components for my future medical education as well. (I work full time coordinating clinical research protocols at NIH.)

I think I am capable of scoring a 34+ on the MCAT and if I do this I would like to go to UMD or some schools in northern VA as that could be the most convenient best for my relationship and family. Should I just apply to these schools right now anyway?... I really don't want to be throwing money away as this is an expensive process.

Any advice that you have would be great.

Thank you for all your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently applying to medical school MD and DO. I think I am a URM because I am Puerto Rican. I got a 27 on my MCAT (9PS, 8VR, 10BS). I have a 3.78 GPA overall and in the sciences. My major was Biochemistry and my minor was Psychology. I have a lot of research experience (5 years worth) as I currently coordinate clinical protocols at the NIH. I am very non-traditional applicant that will be 28 this year and I graduated undergrad in 2007.

I am applying to: UCONN, Howard, LECOM, PCOM, Netter, UNECOM, Rowan, MSUCOM, maybe GWU and others DO schools in the area

(I have one interview and I hope to have more in the near future... I haven't finished submitting my secondaries... I hope by next week they will all be done if not 90% of them.)

I really want to stay near Maryland/DC area because I am in a serious relationship and his family is here.

I am very interested in some of the schools on my list but others I am unsure about at this time. I need advice with what to do if I get accepted into a school that I do not think is a good fit. Someone told me it is bad to reject an acceptance and then reapply for the next cycle.

I was also thinking about retaking the MCAT in January just in case but now I am thinking about taking a graduate course in neuroanatomy so I would then retake the MCAT in April if needed. Is this a bad idea? Should I not take the course and just focus on the MCAT to take in January. I wanted to take it for my job and to gain a better understanding of the brain and its components for my future medical education as well. (I work full time coordinating clinical research protocols at NIH.)

I think I am capable of scoring a 34+ on the MCAT and if I do this I would like to go to UMD or some schools in northern VA as that could be the most convenient best for my relationship and family. Should I just apply to these schools right now anyway?... I really don't want to be throwing money away as this is an expensive process.

Any advice that you have would be great.

Thank you for all your help.
If you interview at a school and decide it's not a good fit, then withdraw your application from further consideration before you are accepted.

Neuroanatomy is not going to help you on the MCAT if you plan to retake. If you want to retake it, then wait until later in the season to see how many interview offers you get, as a January retake will not impact MD consideration with the exception of one school (last I reviewed the MSAR). You are pretty much a lock for DO schools with your current numbers (in regards your your ECs, I can't say as they were not included)

If you are not planning to retake, then broaden your list of MD schools now to include all those in which you have an interest, particularly your state school.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you get an acceptance and turn it down to reapply next year you will have major difficulty getting any further acceptances. Don't apply/interview at a school you would not go to.

And get your Secondaries completed yesterday!

Yeah I know. Writing is such a long process for me. Maybe because I am such a perfectionist. I hope to get 3 submitted this weekend and complete 2 more next week.

Would an awesome MCAT score in January get me off the waiting list or a good grade in Neuroanatomy? Would medical schools that I am applying to this cycle even consider my January score? If not, I think I will just stick with Neuroanatomy.

I also got another interview yesterday at a medical school that I am really excited about!!! :)

Would medical schools that I am applying to this cycle even consider my January score?
Among MD schools, only at Meharry, per my vintage paper copy of the MSAR. Policy is subject to change, of course.

I also got another interview yesterday at a medical school that I am really excited about!!! :)
Congrats!

If you get an acceptance and turn it down to reapply next year you will have major difficulty getting any further acceptances. Don't apply/interview at a school you would not go to.

The issue is I don't know if I would like every school that I applied to. I was originally told to apply to 20 schools with safety schools included. I only applied to 13-15 MD/DO programs but I was unsure about all of them as I did not have time to visit all of them before I submitted my application to them. There are a few that I am very interested in but some that I am on the fence about. I hope to gain a better view of the school, location and its clinical rotations upon the interview. If I am still on the fence about the school post-interview should I withdraw my application?

Last edited:
If you're looking at schools in the DC area, why didn't you apply to Georgetown, UVA and VCU? Would you consider USUHS?

I am a URM (Puerto Rican) with a 27 (9PS, 8VR, 10BS) on my MCAT, non-trad with 5 years of research experience (after undergrad) at the NIH lots of abstracts, and a publication in the works.

Do you think I have a shot of getting accepted at one of those schools? If so, I could apply to them as well. I am still finishing some secondaries. My lab collaborates with VCU so I thought I might have a chance but it seems to have a lot of applications right now. I don't want to throw money away but I would love to be accepted this year and avoid have to retake the MCAT or re-apply.

I thought about USUHS but I am really not sure about joining the military and I feel like I should be very excited about the military if I were to apply to USUHS.

Your stats have already been posted. They would be reaches, but not out of the question. If you truly want to exhaust all options in the DC area, you should definitely apply to these.

As for USUHS, it is a particularly excellent choice for those thinking of PCP specialties. You would probably be reasonably competitive for it.