In need of advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monty55

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So.. First post here and I was originally a bit hesitant because I didn't want to be discouraged, but I could really use some advice.

I am currently waiting to hear back from 5 more MD schools and 5 more DO schools. No interviews yet and am not feeling very hopeful to get any. I applied late (submitted primary in September and secondaries by November). I know that applying late really hurt my chances, but I am wondering what more I need to add before re-applying for the next cycle.

Stats: 507 new MCAT/ 3.38 GPA and 3.3 science GPA from a "public ivy" school (graduated 2014)

ECs:
**I have been working full-time as a scribe for the last year and a half since graduating. After about 6 months I was promoted to "head scribe" and managed around 35 other scribes, then was promoted to a project leader and implemented a new scribe program. I have about 2500 hours of clinical "shadowing" experience doing this.
**2 month international mission trip to a medical clinic -- had some hands on experience in the lab and with patients
**Volunteered about 5 hours a week in a free clinic during college.
**Elected and served on my college's Honor Council.
**Many other volunteer experiences (working with girl scouts and leading spring break trips to volunteer at a camp for adults with disabilities, etc).

DILEMMA: I know that my GPA is weak, but I am wondering if attending a post-bacc in my case is absolutely necessary or if I just need to apply on time for this cycle? I am hesitant about a post-bacc because of the money and also the "slide" year afterwards. Taking 2 years off was plenty and I don't want to wait another 2 before entering medical school. Other thoughts I had were to get a research position (I don't have any experience there) or to get my EMT. I would appreciate any advice on what to do for the this next year!

Of note, I am a first generation college student and an URM (Hispanic to be specific)

Members don't see this ad.

Quite surprised you haven't heard from anyone. Applying late surely hurt you. Must of applied to high level schools?

Quite surprised you haven't heard from anyone. Applying late surely hurt you. Must of applied to high level schools?

Here is the list:
VCU (rejected), VTech, Howard, Tulane (rejected), Chicago Medical School, Northwestern, TCMC (rejected), George Washington (rejected)
VCOM (all campuses), PCOM (all campuses), Western U

I picked schools because they were in-state and the ones with the lowest average GPA (since that was my problem). Northwestern and Tulane were my reaches.

I am a Virginia resident (went to college here and stayed after graduation) but originally from California if it makes a difference

Members don't see this ad :)
What Hispanic community do you represent(ie Mexican, Puerto Rican etc)? Many Hispanics arent considered URMs for admisison

For the sake of this discussion let's assume the Hispanic community you are from is not considered URM in medicine. In this case, you did apply late but honestly a 3.3/29 just arent competitive stats for non URMs for MD programs. For DO programs, those stats can work but only applying to 5 programs can be problematic. PCOM and Western U in particular get tons and tons of apps every year.

What I can say going forward is if you apply broadly to DO programs next cycle and on time you are likely to generate some interest. If MD is the end goal BOTH the GPA and MCAT likely need to go up. If you can get the MCAT score up to say 513+ territory I might look into some SMP programs. A post-bacc might be enough with a better MCAT score but SMPs in many ways are bigger risk and bigger reward. They are harder than post-baccs and a bad performance will tank you, but a strong performance in an SMP combined with a better MCAT is the single fastest way to make you a good MD candidiate. As a reapplicant to your state programs, you kind of need a "boost" to your app. An SMP would provide it.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed with last poster, need to think about both GPA and MCAT. Study the schools, apply broadly and early. Pick programs appropriate to your situation. EMT seems like more of what you have already tended towards. Become more rounded, not so focused. You need to prove you can handle the rigor of the academics, so research could be helpful, but not as much as solid grades in hard courses. SMP vs post bacc is your call.

Thank you both for your input. I am Cuban, which I know is considered URM for at least some schools (since I got emails from them essentially saying this). Right now I am not entirely sold on just MD schools and I think I would be happy to go to a DO school. Right now my biggest fear is that if I apply again on time (thinking that was the main issue) and still do not get in, I will be out another year. I know that any post-bacc/SMP won't be a waste (unless I bomb it), but it is really going to be a stretch money wise and if I don't absolutely need it I would rather not.

I think I could probably do better on the MCAT if I took it again, so that will definitely be something to look into.

Your late application is probably the reason you are not receiving interviews though it is still possible you could receive DO interviews since some of those schools interview into April. If you are not accepted this cycle then apply broadly to DO schools in June (at least 15 schools) and you should receive some interviews. MD is less likely with your stats but apply to your state schools and consider schools such as :
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
California Northstate
Any private MD schools that open in 2017 (Henricopolis, Seton Hall, Roseman< etc.)

Thank you both for your input. I am Cuban, which I know is considered URM for at least some schools (since I got emails from them essentially saying this). Right now I am not entirely sold on just MD schools and I think I would be happy to go to a DO school. Right now my biggest fear is that if I apply again on time (thinking that was the main issue) and still do not get in, I will be out another year. I know that any post-bacc/SMP won't be a waste (unless I bomb it), but it is really going to be a stretch money wise and if I don't absolutely need it I would rather not.

I think I could probably do better on the MCAT if I took it again, so that will definitely be something to look into.
Cubans are not generally considered UIM. Language skills are still a plus, though.
Some schools purchase lists from AMCAS that include, but are not specific for UIM groups. They send emails to all of them (even those that will not be considered).

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? That's news to me. Thank you for sharing.
I wonder why though, it's not like there's that many of them outside Miami :)
The early Cuban immigration was largely the well-educated. Doctors are abundant in the Cuban community and therefore they do not meet the definition of under-represented.

Reactions: 1 users
So basically you applied to 11 programs? I recommend you apply for more and early. Be very careful if you are considering to apply to medical schools outside the US

Faha - Thank you so much for the list. I was having trouble picking schools to apply to and this will help for my re-application.

Gyngyn - Well that is a bit of a bummer! Unfortunately no language skills other than some basic Spanish. My whole family speaks Spanish, but they did not speak Spanish to me because they felt that being Cuban and speaking Spanish put them at a disadvantage (they faced a lot of discrimination) and didn't want that for their children.

Sia_simba - Yes. That was all I could afford at the time. I have saved up enough money over the last year and will be applying to more. I have completely ruled out schools outside of the US, so that is not anything I am considering.

Thank you all for the help!