In need of help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoveJones

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am currently working on my EC's while I am finishing up my undergrad! The problem is I have no Idea how to get involved with research. I have been on 3 medical mission trips I have volunteered with the redress for 300+ hours I have shadowed both MD and DO's 20+ hours each I just don't have any research and I don't know how to get involved with any seeing as though I am still active duty stationed oversea's. Can someone give me any advice or just let me know what type of research medical schools are looking for in general!

Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

Best thing to do? Find research that you'd like to get involved with (or at least think of a general focus that appeals to you) and email the PI's directly. I've found, in my 7 years of research, that investigators always need research assistants to help with data and/or manuscript prep.

That being said, I'm not sure where you are geographically but it may take some massaging and persistence. For instance, I REALLY broke into research when I was doing my post-bacc in Boston. If you know anything about Boston, you know that it's 1) a mecca for medicine and, 2) saturated with pre-meds. So, I had to apply to positions/email NO LESS than 100 PI's. Seriously. I got 2 interviews and landed 1 job. And that was typical of everyone I spoke with.

So I am currently working on my EC's while I am finishing up my undergrad! The problem is I have no Idea how to get involved with research. I have been on 3 medical mission trips I have volunteered with the redress for 300+ hours I have shadowed both MD and DO's 20+ hours each I just don't have any research and I don't know how to get involved with any seeing as though I am still active duty stationed oversea's. Can someone give me any advice or just let me know what type of research medical schools are looking for in general!

Thank You!
Do you want to do research because you like it or because you think you need it to get into med school? If you don't like research or can't do research since you are overseas, don't worry! You don't need research to get into med school :).

-From a first year med student who has never done research

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Thank You!
Do you want to do research because you like it or because you think you need it to get into med school? If you don't like research or can't do research since you are overseas, don't worry! You don't need research to get into med school :).

-From a first year med student who has never done research
I second what cyang55 said. Research is just icing on the cake a lot of the time.

Reactions: 1 user
Best thing to do? Find research that you'd like to get involved with (or at least think of a general focus that appeals to you) and email the PI's directly. I've found, in my 7 years of research, that investigators always need research assistants to help with data and/or manuscript prep.

That being said, I'm not sure where you are geographically but it may take some massaging and persistence. For instance, I REALLY broke into research when I was doing my post-bacc in Boston. If you know anything about Boston, you know that it's 1) a mecca for medicine and, 2) saturated with pre-meds. So, I had to apply to positions/email NO LESS than 100 PI's. Seriously. I got 2 interviews and landed 1 job. And that was typical of everyone I spoke with.

Its funny that you mentioned Boston. I am from Boston lol. But I am currently in the military stationed in Japan.

Reactions: 1 user
I just want to make myself as competitive as possible so that when it comes time for me to apply I at least have a chance of getting in.

Don't check boxes. Do not do research if you are not passionate about it...

Its funny that you mentioned Boston. I am from Boston lol. But I am currently in the military stationed in Japan.

You're in the military. You don't need research. Only do it if you want to

Reactions: 1 users