In need of last minute advice: U of Minn. vs Wash U

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kfix

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be crazy to rank U of Minn. about Wash U. I liked the area and the feel of U of Minn. better but I know Wash U.'s reputation is better. U of Minn. is supposedly rising in the ranks, but do you think it has become competative enough that it wouldn't be detrimental to rank them above Wash U. I am considering fellowships (no cards though).
Thanx!!!
Kfix

Members don't see this ad.

I think Minnesota does really well with fellowship placement too.

I think "crazy" would be turning down a place you think you'd be happier at.

I'm obviously biased towards Minnesota, but I think it's generally accepted that anybody can get into a solid non-cardiology/GI/allergy fellowship coming out of the the University of Minnesota. I interviewed at both the U of Minnesota and WashU, and I'm not convinced the clinical training at one is better then the other. In fact, I prefer Minnesota's morning reports and Friday M&Ms to any other conference series I've seen.

Previous threads: my review of the U of Minnesota is here, and I made some recent comments about Minnesota here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your help lfcdoc and Adcadet. So two for U of Minn.
Anyone else? I did forget to add that I think I may want to stay in academics.
Thanks

i'd say wash u, without a doubt.. i think the research there is phenomenal, and all the subspeicalty departments and faculty are really top notch. I dont know about Uminn's fellowship list, but wash u was pretty good. also, i think the national rep of wash u exceeds that of Uminn. I dont think you'll be closing any doors with wash u, but i dont think i can say the same about u minn.

bill

I say go with what feels right. Minnesota is going to keep getting better.

wash u has a better rep, but you can get a good fellowship coming out of any good university program. go where you want to be.