In need of loan money...need advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krikey

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So basically I have about 7 science prerequisites that I need completed before I can apply for Dental School (DAT excluded). My problem is, from my understanding, unless I go for a degree of some sort I can't get loan money. There is a biomed program at my local school (non university but 4 year college) that would take care of my prerequisites. By taking this biomed program I can get my prerequisites done and get loan money however since Dental school doesn't require a bachelor degree my plan was to drop out after I get the prerequisites finished. I'd want to do this so at least I'm able to get the loan money that I need. Does this look bad on a dental application? Do they really care?

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend getting a bachelors degree.

So basically I have about 7 science prerequisites that I need completed before I can apply for Dental School (DAT excluded). My problem is, from my understanding, unless I go for a degree of some sort I can't get loan money. There is a biomed program at my local school (non university but 4 year college) that would take care of my prerequisites. By taking this biomed program I can get my prerequisites done and get loan money however since Dental school doesn't require a bachelor degree my plan was to drop out after I get the prerequisites finished. I'd want to do this so at least I'm able to get the loan money that I need. Does this look bad on a dental application? Do they really care?

u are strongly recommended to have a BS of some sort since most applicants do.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's better to get a degree, but...

Although loans want you to be a part of a degree program, that's only for planning purposes. So plan a degree program, take the classes you want, then just stop when you've got all the classes you need

I'm in a similar situation but I already had a degree. I needed loans, so my advisors put me in a second degree program with a wink of the eye, I got the loans, then I got my prerequisites. It turns out I decided to just ahead and finish the second degree, but I didn't have to.

Dental school doesn't require a bachelor degree

Only about 4% of matriculating dental students do no have a bachelors. And they are the very high GPA/DAT people. So statistically I'd go for the Bachelor's.

Thanks for all the great info. So if it's best to get a bachelors my question is do they care what kind? Like say for a Physical Therapist they seem to not care what Bachelor degree you get, as long as you have one and the prerequisites completed, your fine. Is Dentistry the same way in that regard? Would having a bachelors in Psychology give an edge to a pre-dental student over another who has no bachelor? Is there a list to what bachelor degrees most dental students have?

edit: somehow I think this question has probably been asked before lol. I'll do a search and see if anything comes up.

Last edited:
It does not matter what the degree is. However, if your major is biology or chemistry, it will help on your DAT.