In Need of some major advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShakaChaka

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from Ucr and currently live with my mom who lives in California. My dad lives in Texas and is a state resident there. My stats are not superb (orm, 3.68cgpa, 3.78sgpa, mcat 29(10b,10v,9p), 135 hours of clinical and shadowing, above avg Lor, 1 pending coauthorship, insane upward trend, compelling personal statement: addicted to drugs, raised by mom who survived cancer and has polio.

My chances for md school is greatly increased if I apply to Ucr and Texas medical schools.

It seems that Ucr will not check my legal state residency and will only check my dependency status for financial matters. Tmsdas requires that the parent I'm dependent on is a Texas tesident, which my dad is.

Tmsdas and amcas do not talk or share, so I am planning to be dependent on my dad and apply to Tmsdas as a Texas resident and apply to amcas and Aamcoas as a California resident.

Is this a bad idea? I might not meet residentship in all of the schools I apply too, even do schools... I also called AnM Texas school and they said just bc I meet the reqs for Tmsdas, small chance I might still not be considered as a resident. Also, there might be a chance that Ucr will check when I get an interview or after I get accepted and get rescinded.

Lastly, I believe Texas state residents might be biased against by other oos schools....

My choices are.

1. Not apply to tx and use California.
2. Use tx for all my application and lose out on Ucr.
3. Gamble with dual resident...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yeah, I mean, I'm not an expert, but that just seems like a good way to appear in USA Today with one of those, "Student Deceives the Medical School System, Gets $500,000 in Fines" types of headlines.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I mean, I'm not an expert, but that just seems like a good way to appear in USA Today with one of those, "Student Deceives the Medical School System, Gets $500,000 in Fines" types of headlines.
hahahaaa

I would just apply as a Texas resident. Don’t play the system, it will come back to bite you as stated above!

Reactions: 1 user
Run from California

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for all your help everyone!

I have decided to just say that I am a California resident because some schools OOS including IS TX might check later and dependency on my dad might not be enough to be considered a resident, and I'm 100% sure I am a California resident.

I think statistically my chances at UCR might be better with my stats than with Texas, especially because I have not yet applied and will probably apply around june. I'm also hedging my bets on other oos schools that are near my reach and they will probably slightly like a california resident over texas.

Here is the link to the TX state resident questions and legal guidelines: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/legal-state-of-residence-if-dependent.1135138/#post-16464327

Also, my personal statement talks about how I was raised by my mom, and during the interview process they might look at my address or find out I'm dependent on my dad and reject me...

Lastly, any suggestions with these thoughts of mine?

The good burden of life is the burden to choose!