1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

In need of some more advice...

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by LMC, Apr 29, 2007.

1. LMC

LMC
    7+ Year Member

Hey everyone- I came to this board a few months ago for advice on a predicament I was in, and you all were so helpful. Now I'd love some more advice on my situation.

I'm finishing up my year as a categorical general surgery intern in NY. I want to switch to anesthesia in California, hopefully LA, due to personal issues. I know that it's too late for 2007, but I plan to apply both through the match and outside the match for CA-1 for 2008 or at worst 2009. I did 214 on step 1 and 232 on step 2.

I actually spoke with my program director and my surgery advisor about this. They want me to stay at least another year to make sure I'm not confused. I'm definitely not confused- I know what I want to do. I just don't know how to go about doing it. I could stay in surgery another year and apply during that year, which would be difficult with my schedule and the fact that I want to apply to programs across the country. Or I could leave after this year, move to California, and do a variety of things- moonlight, research, corporate job, whatever- while being a little more forceful and trying to make some more personal connections with the program directors out there. I'm scared to be without a residency, but to be honest, I'll never do surgery, so it's not much of a consolation to have my surgery residency as a fallback. I'm really just worried about how it looks to quit residency and do something else while applying for an anesthesia spot. Do you think program directors would look more favorably on me if I stayed in my surgery spot another year? Does it hurt your application to take a consulting job for a year? Basically, how can I get myself in the best possible situation to get an anesthesia residency in Los Angeles next year? I'm planning to go out there for vacation in a few weeks, and I was thinking of setting up meetings with some program directors, dropping off my resume in person, and discussing my situation with them. Any feedback would be MUCH appreciated!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.