in or out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lamna

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question. I have a 30 Q, 3.92 G.P.A. A research paper submitted for publication. TA'ed two classes and have lots of great extracurricular activities, including going to Basic Army camp and not even being part of ROTC, being a co-author on a biochemistry lab manual. What are my chances of getting into top 25 schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to SDN :)

What was your MCAT score breakdown? What kind of undergrad did you go to?

In any case, while you may be competitive for top 25 schools, please apply to a wide range, including schools that are unranked.....there are many applicants with a 30/3.9, so some may be forced to go to lower ranked schools since they all can't fit at the top. Sometimes these poeple don't apply to loewer schools and then they get stuck going nowhere, so please don't make that mistake. :)

<a href="http://forums.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=012038;p=2#000037" target="_blank">Please see this thread</a> :wink:

Good luck!

i say you have a fightin' chance, if your mcat breakdown isn't 5-12-13. apply to lots of schools, though (and by lots of schools, i don't mean all 25 top-25 schools). apply to a wide range. your gpa and other stats sound great, but your mcat might be low for some of the schools you want to apply to. i'm not saying you don't have a chance at them, i'm just saying that you'll want to cover your bases and apply to a wide range of schools.

best of luck! and check out the threads that foxy was refering to.

Thanks for the advice everyone. But, here is my thinking. The average is the average, so half the class is lower than their average. With my 10 average, I am not terribly lower than many of the top 25 schools, i.e. CWRU 10.7, UCLA 10.7, etc. So, I think I will be okay, but of course I am going to apply to many schools. In addition, I think I will have excellent letter of recommendations. By the way, I go to a top 75 school and also majoring in two subjects, midwestern school.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by lamna:
• The average is the average, so half the class is lower than their average. With my 10 average, I am not terribly lower than many of the top 25 schools, i.e. CWRU 10.7, UCLA 10.7, etc. •••••Since you're a bit below the average, your good GPA and ECs will help. I think you have a decent chance, so go ahead and apply to some top schools. Just be sure to apply to others as well...this whole process does not always work in the most logical manner and high #s don't always get you into a top school, so you want to cover your bases!

Hi Lamna,

You said half the class is below the average, but this is not correct and is a mistake made for many people. The MEDIAN is when half the class is below, or above that score. The avg. really don't give us too much information unless the standard deviation is taken into account. So try to get a hold of the SD's and see if your scores fall within that range. If they do,then go for it!

I've noticed a couple schools post the median on their website.

Hey lamna,

I was in army basic camp too. when did you go and what company were you in? i was in alpha last year.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Kirk:
•What exactly is "Basic army camp"? :) •••••Basic camp is a 5 week army rotc training camp in Ft. Knox. It's required for rotc students wanting to do the 2 year rotc program instead of the 4 year program. It's also a way to see whether you're interested in joining the military without having any obligations to serve after going to this camp. We did a whole bunch of cool things like rappelling, land navigation, weapons training, and combat simulations.

-dpy

I was there in the summer of 2000, I was Bravo company. When were you there?

So far, so good. I noticed that in your post you didn't mention any medical experience/hospital volunteering/doctor shadowing activities. Do be sure to include those things in your statement; they're extremely important.