In post-bac what are my chances so far?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brdmadgrl82

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances for MD program?

I am currently in a post-bac program. I attend an excellent university affiliated with a medical school (classes are not as easy as I thought). I am 28 and it has been a long time since I have been in school.

I am not doing as well as I had hoped. In the spring I had a 3.4 gpa (Bio102 B+, A- in lab). Currently I am taking a full year of inorganic in the summer and I KNOW I will not get A's (thinking B's for both labs and lectures). I guess I was not use to studying chem and covering a chapter a day...maybe it just takes me longer to study than other students *sigh*

I apologize for posting this if it is a little early but I guess I am, well, worried.

My undergrad gpa wasn't bad (but I did start at a community college for the first 2yrs) I got a degree from a 4yr in psych, and I finished with a 3.87.

I did take some science classes such as: Bio 101, Human Genetics (no lab), and Infectious Diseases as electives. Would the later two count toward my gpa (they are considered as bio/science at that university)?

If the classes from my undergrad do count toward my science gpa including the college algebra and pre-calc I would be somewhere around 3.7. While not bad, I think the post-bac AND current summer classes are going to kill my gpa...and I know this will be a "downward trend" in the way it looks. I also "w"ed out of Calculus last semester and do not plan on taking it. Any advice? :idea:

I am registered to take orgo 1 and phys 1 in the fall, and orgo 2 and phys 2 in the spring...then mcat. I don't know why I rushed with the summer chem :(...but I'm here now.

Thank you all in advance for any advice or suggestions you may have.

I should mention my volunteer- 3+ yrs at a clinic about 1-2 days per week, also worked at a mental health clinic. In addition, some community service such as food drives 4+yrs in a row around holidays, and hospital shadowing. So I think I'm ok there?

Members don't see this ad.

I took a full year of OChem plus lab over the summer, so i can imagine how intense the summer will be for you.

That you're 28 doesn't make you very old, so I'm wondering why you're in such a rush and also what else you will be doing over the summer that will keep you from getting As. Can you drop whatever it is? Right now, your GPAs are still competitive. I'd hate to see you blow the whole plan by rushing things.

Is it possible to drop the summer plan (even if you get a W), change to P/F, regroup, or maybe audit the rest of the current class, and give it another go in the fall?

Many schools let you substitute Statistics for Calc I, and others just require a semester or two of college math unspecified.

OChem and Physics at the same time when you're already feeling challenged might be a plan to rethink as well.

Thank you very much for your reply and advice. I am already 1/2 way through Inorganic A and Lab and would hate dropping (I pay out of pocket for alot of the tuition).

I am also registered to start Inorganic B and Lab in July...do you think I should try to push this one to the Fall? I hear the professor for 102 is awesome and in the Fall I wouldn't be able to take his class (only 1 chem class is still open for fall and it falls on a saturday- full day).

I did take statistics already, how do I explain my W in calculus to the med schools?

I stopped working, well, only part time but it is flexible...I guess I am still trying to figure out the best way to study for chem and covering 1 chapter per day is hard for me. I also commute 1 and 20min to and from so I feel tired of the drive...maybe reducing some of the study time.

Also, if I am not working in the Fall do you think I should keep both phys and ochem? or really try to take one? Or do the saturday chem 102 and phys 1?

Thank you!

-maria

Members don't see this ad :)
It's up to you and your time-management skills to pick the most optimal path toward the best possible grades, while balancing the cost of the classes, the best possible professor, a better work schedule, other distractions (ECs), the least sleep you can get by with, and classes that go well together. That you have to deal with such a long commute is tough on top of everything else.

I don't think I can do much to help you manage your challenges, other than to provide support and sympathy. Gen Chem I & II were the hardest for me. I had to attend weekly group tutoring and do all the problems at the end of the chapter, but it paid off in the end with decent grades.

One W isn't going to hurt you. A few of them probably won't either.

Whether you'll manage OChem and Physics plus labs creditably has a lot to do with how your brain is wired, probably. Either space them out or be prepared to drop before the deadline if they turn out to be too much for you. Taking fewer classes and having a high GPA is more likely to end well than rushing things and ending up with a lot of Bs.

Back to some of your original questions: Yes, your ECs sound fine. And all your undergrad grades and postbac will be counted from all post-high school institutions of learning to generate your application GPA when you apply to med schools.

Thank you for your time and the wonderful advice. I will try to work more on my time management this summer (maybe less volunteer too- and I've been looking for more :confused:). I just e-mailed my professor for a meeting as well. Hopefully I can get some study tips for the exams and just try the best that I can in this session. I will give it some thought about possibly dropping inorganic 2 this summer (you are right, I should take my time and A'ce it instead of get another B).

Hopefully I will be ok in the fall (covering the material in 1 week compared to a day sounds so much better to me). I guess I was overconfident when I went into this class. Another concern and reason for rushing through my post-bac is that I wanted to show med schools I can handle the course load (I read about this alot on here).

Also, I just read your member profile and see you are in peds :) that is exactly what I hope to do! I've always loved working with children...I just hope I get there :scared: now...to take a nap and study for tomorrows chem lab midterm.

A recent study put pediatricians in the top three "most satisfied" with their career, of all specialties. Naturally, I approve of your interest.

Med schools like to see you handle a heavy load and succeed, but that load needn't be all academic. Work, ECs, family, and other responsibilities are considered as well.

A recent study put pediatricians in the top three "most satisfied" with their career, of all specialties. Naturally, I approve of your interest.

Med schools like to see you handle a heavy load and succeed, but that load needn't be all academic. Work, ECs, family, and other responsibilities are considered as well.

This is good to know (both the pediatrics and work load)! I feel better already knowing it is not only based on academics. I think I can show this through my previous work/school experience (maybe not at the moment). Thank you once again :)