in-school consolidation---direct loans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clevisR6

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
if you consolidate in school with direct loans, do they automatically take your graduation date into account and give you your grace period? or do you have to submit a deferment?

Members don't see this ad.

oh yes, does anyone know if its possible to do an in school consolidation with DL now, then upon graduation do a consolidation with one of the companies that offers the 1.25% discounts? (1%for 36 months, .25% for electronic debit)

clevisR6 said:
oh yes, does anyone know if its possible to do an in school consolidation with DL now, then upon graduation do a consolidation with one of the companies that offers the 1.25% discounts? (1%for 36 months, .25% for electronic debit)

It is. My spouse consolidated with DL (in school) in July 2004 and will re-consolidate with GL/AES this month (he just graduated).

Members don't see this ad :)
GeneGoddess said:
It is. My spouse consolidated with DL (in school) in July 2004 and will re-consolidate with GL/AES this month (he just graduated).

interesting, please post the results of the consolidation; what discounts he got, if they gave any grief etc. Thanks

He has gotten no grief. DL sucks and their "perks" are pathetic. GL/AES has been receptive and informative. Their perks are .25% with auto-pay and 1% after 20 on-time payments. And, hopefully, he will be able to have an economic hardship deferement.

do you know if GL will do the in school consolidation as well? that way i can bypass the DL thing and the GL perks are superb.

I also read somewhere (in the faq i think)that they will get you to keep your grace period and will get your perkins rates reduced to stafford rates.