1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

In search for big, bright teaching hospitals?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Aisha_j123d, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Aisha_j123d

I'm looking for big, airy, open, bright teaching hospitals. The Johns Hopkins Charlotte Bloomberg Building would be an example of what I'm looking for.
    This may seem like a stupid thing to consider when searching for hospitals to work in but I'm claustrophobic and I can't work in small hospitals with dim 'orangey' lights.
    Also I've seen documentaries that take place at Mass Gen and it seems like a small hospital and not very bright. Please correct me if I'm wrong though and it was just the cameras in the documentary because I really had high hopes for Mass Gen.

Other hospitals I'm looking into besides Hopkins and Mass Gen are Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, NY Presbyterian, and UCLA Med so if anyone attends these please give input.

Oh also I know that Greys anatomy is nothing like how real hospitals are like and whatever but I do love how bright and big the 'hospital' the characters work at is and that's the type of interior I'm looking for.

sunflower18 likes this.
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Hrdrock

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
  4. Kaustikos

Kaustikos Archerize It
    7+ Year Member

.... That's the point of interviews. To show you they have that... And then never let you experience it.

5. zeppelinpage4

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Stony Brook University hospital has a modern glassy design to it. I didn't go up there too often M1/M2 but I remember it felt quite open....there were sections that were practically tunnels though, so fair warning. Anywho might be worth a look, if there's any programs of interest to you.

It's a weird hospital building. But, it def didn't have the conventional hospital design or look inside and out if that's what you're going for.

6. FindMeOnTheLinks

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The House and MBH are supposed to be big and bright

In all seriousness I believe Wake Forest has a visually appealing hospital

7. ahc336

Can confirm. Lots of walking between buildings. Lots of natural light.

8. masaraksh

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Can confirm Cleveland Clinic is nice. Yeah... MGH feels like a dungeon, can't blame ya for wanting to stay away :rofl:

9. calvnandhobbs68

calvnandhobbs68 I KNOW NOTHING
    Physician 7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Just joined Sunday and first two threads started are about which schools issue long white coats and which teaching hospitals are the most airy?

[​IMG]

10. mbeus

mbeus mbeus
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Cleveland Clinic is excellent. Very open, and many windows

11. AspiringERMD

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I love Iowa's hospital. Reminds me of an art museum. Mostly well-lit, I'd say.

12. doc05

doc05 2K Member
    15+ Year Member

precisely.

ahc336 likes this.
  13. genelia

Medical Student
    This is actually something I've thought about too so I think it is legit. A comfortable work environment is important to maximizing your productivity.

14. ZX10R

2+ Year Member

I know how you feel; I have to have tall ceilings. MD Anderson.

15. mw18

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Dartmouth-Hitchcock has a really cool feel and look.

WedgeDawg likes this.
  16. sunflower18

sunflower18 Master of Naps
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    The most beautiful hospitals that I saw through my interview trails were Cleveland Clinic, Mayo Clinic, and Ronald Reagan at UCLA. Lots of marble, windows, tall ceilings.

17. 22031 Alum

22031 Alum At the baby factory.
    Physician Faculty 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Call rooms, nurses' stations, and resident lounges tend to all look the same.

18. alpinism

alpinism Give Em' the Jet Fuel
    5+ Year Member

Sounds good in theory...

But, as a med student/resident you won't be spending your time in the "nice areas of the hospital" (i.e. lobby/atrium/main entrance) that are big, bright, and shiny. Most medical wards pretty much look the same as do the physician workrooms and nurses stations (where you'll be spending 99% of your time).

Winged Scapula and PL198 like this.
  19. WinslowPringle

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Really? When interviewing, I thought the wards in the pavilions were cramped and smelly. Maybe it was just the GS floor, though. The new children's hospital should look great when it's done.

University of Arkansas is one of the nicest teaching hospitals I've seen - open, bright, airy.

20. AspiringERMD

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Huh, never would have characterized what I saw as cramped or smelly. But I still have much left to explore!

21. wholeheartedly

Administrator 7+ Year Member

Mayo Clinic = Rochester, MN = many months of dark dreary winter. The clinic buildings are beautiful but wouldn't say the hospitals themselves are bright, open, and airy. It's got a lot of other things going for it though, lol.

22. MedWonk

MedWonk 高飛車
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Only the lobbies are like that. The rest is like any other hospital I've seen.

FindMeOnTheLinks likes this.
  23. JustPlainBill

JustPlainBill Attending
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Love it -- but remember to look for the sign, usually well hidden which reads,"Abandon hope all ye who enter here" --- Trust me, even with a nice, bright well lit hospital, a toxic residency can make Eeyore seem like Tigger --

wholeheartedly likes this.
  24. gothicfoxes

gothicfoxes MD & MPH goals
    2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Architecture will not reflect if the school is right for you.

But if it truly matters to you, Hopkins and Maryland Med in Baltimore are v nice. x

25. timeturner

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    On my cycle of interviews I thought Feinberg had great hospitals - they were very big on presence of art for healing and there were never paintings of faces on any wall of the hospital. Also the hospital lobby had so many lamps and comfy and very clean looking chairs it felt more like a hotel lobby. I also got a glimpse of the children's hospital and it had a large aquarium and when I glanced into the hall ways there were so many giant toys for kiddos to climb on.
    Also have a vague memory of a similar children's hospital set-up from Vanderbilt, though I am not sure. So many hospitals/schools blend together in retrospect...

26. WingedOx

WingedOx Unofficial Froopyland Forum Mod.
    Gold Donor 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Stony Brook may be the single ugliest example of brutalist architecture standing today.

27. WingedOx

WingedOx Unofficial Froopyland Forum Mod.
    Gold Donor 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    All the residents I know who work at Northwestern Memorial claim that their working space is cramped and dungeon-like despite the marble floors in the lobby, etc.

28. BigRedBeta

BigRedBeta Why am I in a handbasket?

Attending Physician
    1) specialize in Pediatrics. Children's Hospitals in general are way more inviting. Plus there's been a building boom of late for children's hospitals so they're often newer.
    2) Agree with the statement about the University of Arkansas as far as the adult hospital goes - most of it is very inviting. However the older parts of the campus are anything but.
    3) The back of the house almost anywhere you go is not going to be anything close to bright, airy, and open. This is particularly true for inpatient floors in which, by regulation, patient rooms must have an exterior window. That relegates physician work space to the interior of the building, leaving workrooms, call rooms, and other areas, windowless and at times claustrophobic (although the darkness is awesome for call rooms if you make it to one). The usual exception to this is the NICU where preemies typically benefit from having low stimulation and so their patient space gets pushed away from the exterior walls and physicians get to enjoy the views. The NICU at Rush University's new hospital is a prime example and has one of the absolute best views of Chicago imaginable. On all the other floors, you have to go into patients room to get the same vantage point.

29. Kaustikos

Kaustikos Archerize It
    7+ Year Member

Right?
    It's all about how comfy those couches/beds are. Also, how many. Also, do we have access to nursing staff room. Because they have all the food

30. zeppelinpage4

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Hahaha, it's a love it or hate it kind of building. I personally like it, but I'm definitely in the minority.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose. It looks like something out of the Jetsons, I love that. Also, despite the whacky appearance, I think the main hospital is quite nice on the inside from the little bit I've seen of it.

31. Mad Jack

Mad Jack Critically Caring
    Physician Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Most of YNHH is bright and open, especially Smilow. Some of the older portions of the hospital are a total dive though, but most of it is at least recently remodeled (or repainted, for the areas they didn't figure were worth remodeling). And then there's the whole "it's in New Haven" aspect...

And if you're ever getting too tweaked out, you could always visit the Healing Garden on the 7th floor of Smilow...
    [​IMG]

32. fancymylotus

fancymylotus A Whole New World
    Dentist 10+ Year Member

New Haven is a cesspool.

WingedOx likes this.
  33. Mad Jack

ftfy

MedWonk likes this.
  34. fancymylotus

Dentist 10+ Year Member

:hello: hater

35. Mad Jack

[​IMG]
    You started it.

For the OP: Fancy is kind of right- New Haven is a bit of a dump, all joking aside. There's some nice spots, but Yale and New Haven are kind of a package- can't have one without the other, so you need to decide if that trade is worth it to you.

36. CherryRedDracul

CherryRedDracul The Sunlight Burns
    Physician 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Just took a look. Doesn't even come close to NJMS, sorry. At least Stony Brook looks futuristic.

Winged Scapula likes this.
  37. fancymylotus

Dentist 10+ Year Member

The dental school @stony looks like a derelict movie theater. Did not like.

38. jdh71

jdh71 epiphany at nine thousand six hundred feet

Attending Physician
    I'm going to go out on a limb here. You were born after 1990 weren't you.

SouthernSurgeon likes this.
  39. alpinism

alpinism Give Em' the Jet Fuel
    5+ Year Member

Here you go OP:

The 10 most luxurious hospital rooms in the world

http://www.therichest.com/luxury/the-10-most-luxurious-hospital-rooms-in-the-world/

5. Gleneagles Hospital in Singapore

[​IMG]

Specialized in gastroenterology, liver transplants, cardiology, and gynecology, Gleneagles Hospital on Napier Road in Singapore is a private facility offering top-notch medical and surgical services. Patients are accommodated in spacious rooms with huge bathrooms and large LCD flatscreens. Single bedrooms come with their own telephone, Internet connection, DVD player, private nurse services, in-room minibar, massage, personal stylist, and even a celebratory cocktail party for 10 persons. Gleneagles Hospital’s deluxe Tanglin Suite offers a VIP maternity package for a whopping $14,000 per 2-day stay for normal delivery, and $18,000 for C-section delivery per 3-day stay.

4. Matilda International Hospital in Hong Kong

[​IMG]

Located on the Victoria Peak, also known as The Peak, a historical landmark on Hong Kong Island, the luxury suites of the Matilda International Hospital offers great views of the South China Sea through their floor-to-ceiling windows. The modern private medical, surgical, and pediatric ward can brag about eight private deluxe suites and two VIP rooms with glass paneled walls, LED lighting, and ceiling pendants. Prices for the VIP suites start at $4,800 per night, while a three-night stay in a private room with balcony costs $5,200 as part of the Maternity Package. Although, the best part about it all is the delicious catering provided by the Shangri-La Hotel chain.

3. Bumrungrad International Hospital in Bangkok

[​IMG]

One of the most popular medical tourism destinations in the world, Bumrungrad International Hospital in Bangkok, Thailand attends to over 400,000 medical tourism patients each year. It is guaranteed to make your stay feel like a pampering medical holiday, with world-class amenities, the latest in technology medical equipment, and internationally renowned procedures. There’s even an in-house travel agency that caters to the needs of international patients. The luxury suites could very well rival the finest five-star hotels, designed and furnished in soothing color palettes, with natural wood and plush fabrics. There are also two levels of restaurants and shopping areas. Catering to all medical specialties and subspecialties, from dental to general medicine, surgical services, intensive care, and rehabilitation, the hospital’s name Bumrungrad means “care for the people.”

2. Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York

[​IMG]

Mount Sinai Medical Center’s ultra luxurious Eleven West Pavilion offers 19 deluxe suites for all those patients who want to recover in a room with a view. What can make your hospital stay more pleasant than high tea with gorgeous views of Central Park? The medical center in New York is specialized in 12 medical specialties, with high performance in six adult medical fields, and particularly acclaimed for its geriatrics, gastroenterology, and ear, nose & throat care. Its luxury floor offers many luxury amenities, such as afternoon tea, gourmet meals prepared with organic and mainly locally grown ingredients, and patients are served with the finest Belgian chocolate as they depart the hospital. It’s no wonder the hospital grosses an average $1 million a year from renting out its deluxe hospital rooms.

1. Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles

[​IMG]

Hollywood celebrities’ favorite hospital, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in West Hollywood, California offers 32 Super Deluxe Suites on the 8th floor, all overlooking the Hollywood Hills. Its fields of expertise are 12 medical specialties for the entire family, covering everything from genetics and stem cells to gastroenterology, cardiovascular, neuroscience, organ transplant, cancer, and immunology, while focusing on biomedical research. Acclaimed as the world’s most luxurious hospital, its two and three bedroom suites come with a personal assistant tending to your every need, and a full-sized bathtub for the most pampering and relaxing convalescence on Earth. And that’s not all. Original Picasso paintings ornate the walls, and a gourmet chef is in charge of the delicious meals served at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. Prices start at $1,000 per private room, and there are also four deluxe maternity suites that cost around $3,000 a day.

SouthernSurgeon likes this.
  40. Instatewaiter

Instatewaiter But... there's a troponin
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    At hospitals, you know who gets the windows and the light? The patients.

You better get used to 72 and florescent. The work spaces for MGH, Hopkins, Mayo, CCF are all with minimal windows. On top of that, at Mayo and CCF it is gray and not sunny for literally 6 months of the year.