In Search Of A Ph.D In Educational Psychology Program That Leads To A Licensure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychedOutInCA

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new here. Hello. Not sure if I'm posting in the right forum. I want to become a LEP...Licensed Educational Psychologist. Are there any programs like this that I can do online? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I have this school in mind, but it does not lead directly to a licensure. Can I do this program AND do the extra hours necessary to become licensed later? Help!

http://www.calcoast.edu/ed.d.-doctor-of-education-in-educational-psychology.html

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You'll get it phrased more nicely from others, but the general consensus is online degrees are worthless.

Reactions: 2 users
I have this school in mind, but it does not lead directly to a licensure. Can I do this program AND do the extra hours necessary to become licensed later?

Highly, highly unlikely. Round up and make it a "no."

Members don't see this ad :)
If your goal is to be a licensed psychologist I would encourage you to focus on what makes someone the best one of those versus selecting which degree to obtain in order to fit with whatever reason you have for selecting an online school.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know of any entirely-online programs that lead to licensure. Most states I've seen require some amount of "in-residence" time during your graduate studies. They're also going to require in-person clinical work and supervision through your program; finding a way to supplement an existing degree with additional supervision/training isn't likely to be seen as sufficient or equivalent.

Your best bet will be to find a program that meets state licensure criteria as-is. This tells you that, at a bare minimum, they should have the resources lined up to adequately support you in your training (e.g., availability of clinical supervisors and practicum sites, appropriate coursework, academic due process protections, etc.).

I am assuming that this is California since that is where the term is used according to Google. Here is the website that provides the information you would need http://www.bbs.ca.gov/app-reg/lep.shtml
From a brief read of it, an educational psychologist is what is often called a school psychologist and it only requires a 60 unit MA degree not a doctorate.

Okay, I get it. I'm going to back off trying to take shortcuts and will try going in person to a University.