In search of guidelines to identify low/mid/high SES scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ph.D.Bob

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me answer a question (or steer me toward potential resources that may help) regarding SES, and how best to delineate low/medium/high SES groupings.

I am setting up a study where I will be recruiting using quota sampling in order to ensure sufficient variation in the full sample to represent observed diversity in SES – across high, medium, and low SES quotas. What I am seeking is established classification criteria for "low," "medium," and "high" SES categories for adults in the USA, based perhaps on some composite of key SES components such as income + education levels, as a simple/efficient yet valid way to sample in order to ensure sufficient sample variability in SES (just using convenience sampling of predefined low/med/high SES quotas, vs. trying to obtain nationally representative stratified samples). I would then give participants sampled a more comprehensive SES measure (e.g., that might include occupation, wealth, subjective SES).

A concern it seems, with just sampling based on observed national income levels (e.g., lower 1/3, middle 1/3, upper 1/3) is that those who would be classified, say, as "low SES" might not fall into conventional "low SES" categories (e.g., 20-year-old college student who currently earns <$15K/year). While SES is presumably continuous and multidimensional, for quota sampling purposes, are there generally accepted/valid approximate SES categories, and if so, how are they defined and by whom?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I sent you a PM with more specific info, but it wouldn't let me PM you the attached link. For my dissertation I based my SES groupings on their description.

Attachments

• Adler et al., 2000 - SES.pdf
    871.6 KB · Views: 124
I sent you a PM with more specific info, but it wouldn't let me PM you the attached link. For my dissertation I based my SES groupings on their description.
I wonder how much inflation has affected the groupings they would use now in 2017, if at all. Anyway, cool article. Thanks for sharing here where we can all see it!

I wonder how much inflation has affected the groupings they would use now in 2017, if at all. Anyway, cool article. Thanks for sharing here where we can all see it!

Good point. I can't recall if we altered it at all, but hopefully it didn't affect it too much with also having education and occupation. I actually had two sets of income (parent and participant), as well.