In search of serious advice regarding my future

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SD,

I am currently a second third year biology major at a decent state school (UIC). My current GPA is 3.3, which has unfortunately dashed any hopes of my attending a top tier MD program. I have come to search for other options, and have found the following degrees I am interested in pursuing:

BS: Healthcare Information Management
MS: Healthcare Administration (online only at UIC)

I will be able to graduate a B.S. program with zero debt (thanks Mom!), however after that it will be all on me. I have also been researching pharmaceutical sales positions, and my current plan is to get the BS, work as a pharmaceutical salesperson while attending the online HA program, and then hopefully entering the workforce as an HA.

How realistic of a plan is this, and is the HA career as lucrative as some places would make it seem. From my research I should be able to graduate with the MS and start at 60k+ with a ceiling of 150k or so. My brother thinks I am making a huge mistake by going straight for the Master's, but I would like some outside input.

Thanks all for any advice, I really do appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

So it's either 'top tier' MD or find another career entirely? What's the reasoning behind that?

I don't think there's any reason to not go straight for the MS while working in pharm. You'd still be getting the 'real-world' work experience that would help land an entry-level job somewhere after grad school.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, from my understanding and from my own research, I don't think you should give up your hopes. First of all, you don't give up on MD. You can still do MD, and after you graduate, you can do MS in HA while doing your residency, and some hospital helps you cover your tuiton fees, only few(you'll have to do your own research on that.)
And while you are doing your residency, you're being paid, so that can cover your tuiton fees as well.

But a top tier MD program, don't give up your hopes. Try it, who knows....you may get in! :)

But I suggest you do MD, and during your residency do you MS in HA.