In-service exams during residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

addicted2hope

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should residents study for these exams?

Are the scores important for fellowship applications? (If not directly, maybe indirectly... to determine the rank order in the residency class?)

How can poor scores in the in-service exams affect residents?

Members don't see this ad.

That's a good question. I think it probably varies by hospital. In my program, the in-service exam is used purely as a self-assessment tool, and has no bearing on evaluations or program standing. I didn't study at all for it, partially because it was a self-assessment, and partially because I had no time. Some of my friends at other programs also told me that their exam is not used by the programs to rank residents, but I don't know if this is the case at all programs. I do know that fellowship programs do not ask for these scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would take these exams seriously. They are meant to be self assesments, but unfortunately, they are used to help rank prospective in house fellows. I know of several instances where program directors assured house staff these exams would remain 'quiet' but were subsequently scores were divulged to in house fellowship committees. Be careful.

Klebsiella said:
I would take these exams seriously. They are meant to be self assesments, but unfortunately, they are used to help rank prospective in house fellows. I know of several instances where program directors assured house staff these exams would remain 'quiet' but were subsequently scores were divulged to in house fellowship committees. Be careful.

Hmmm, thanks a lot for the scoop! :thumbup: