In State for Admission purposes - Requirements by state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doccochran

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I plan on applying this coming cycle, but I lost my state residency while volunteering abroad. Residency in my state for college purposes requires having a lease for the twelve month period immediately preceding the application. As I had no lease while abroad, I lost my residency.

Other states, however, are more lenient. I can claim residency in Washington state for admissions purposes if I am present in Washington state six months prior to the December 1 secondary application deadline. Restated, if one is present in Washington state prior to June 1 of the application year, one's applicant pool would be "in-state."

Is this "six months prior to secondary" unique to Washington? Does anyone know of other states with forgiving in state determinations?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure a citizen can't just *lose* residency. You are a resident of WI until you take steps to establish domicile somewhere else.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I'm pretty sure a citizen can't just *lose* residency. You are a resident of WJ until you take steps to establish domicile somewhere else.

Especially someone who is volunteering, something isn't adding up

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm 99% sure your state of residence is wherever the post office sends your mail to.

In order to be a Massachusetts resident for in-state schooling purposes, you need to have paid taxes within MA for 7 years. It's insane. I think it's the only state like that.

Thank you Gonnif, for the clarification, and drplzz, for the Massachusetts residency information.

Residency in Wisconsin for college purposes requires having a lease for the twelve month period immediately preceding the application. As I had no lease in Wisconsin while abroad, I lost my residency.

If anyone has information on other states with forgiving "in state for admissions purposes" bylaws, please add them here!

Tennessee confers residency immediately upon getting a lease in one's name, a utility bill, drivers' license etc. Tennessee says that they are the only state that has no duration requirement for residency. Becoming a Resident - TN.Gov I think you'd have to check individual states to find others like that.

FWIW, Washington is a tough state to be a resident of where MD applications are concerned. If you're going to pick a state, I'd pick one where it's more likely that in-state matriculants get accepted to state schools.

Good luck.

Hi all,
I plan on applying coming cycle, but I lost my state residency while volunteering abroad. Residency in my state for college purposes requires having a lease for the twelve month period immediately preceding the application. As I had no lease while abroad, I lost my residency.

Other states, however, are more lenient. I can claim residency in Washington state for admissions purposes if I am present in Washington state six months prior to the December 1 secondary application deadline. Restated, if one is present in Washington state prior to June 1 of the application year, one's applicant pool would be "in-state."

Is this "six months prior to secondary" unique to Washington? Does anyone know of other states with forgiving in state determinations?

Just as someone from Wisconsin who actually took the time to look up their residency standards - Wisconsin Statute | Office of the Registrar | University of Wisconsin–Madison

36.27(2) (c) Any student who is a graduate of a Wisconsin high school and whose parents are bona fide residents of this state for 12 months next preceding the beginning of any semester or session for which the student registers at an institution or whose last surviving parent was a bona fide resident of this state for the 12 months preceding death is entitled to the exemption under par. (a).

Does this fit you?
Or does anything on the registrar's link fit you?

Reactions: 1 user
Tennessee confers residency immediately upon getting a lease in one's name, a utility bill, drivers' license etc. Tennessee says that they are the only state that has no duration requirement for residency. Becoming a Resident - TN.Gov I think you'd have to check individual states to find others like that.

FWIW, Washington is a tough state to be a resident of where MD applications are concerned. If you're going to pick a state, I'd pick one where it's more likely that in-state matriculants get accepted to state schools.

Good luck.
TN needs domicile for in state tuition. Residency != domicile.