SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

In state, out of state dilemma

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by jnt179, Mar 28, 2007.

1. jnt179

jnt179 2+ Year Member

Mar 28, 2007
    I lack about half of my prereqs to apply to vet school. I am trying to decide which school's prereqs I should do first and get out of the way. The 3 schools that I am interested in have different prereqs. Should I work on the prereqs for vet school in my state (TN) or work on the prereqs for Mississippi state? I do not have the greatest GPA in the world (3.19). I am wanting to apply for the 2008 year. I would really appreciate some feedback on this. What would ya'll do?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. cyrille104

cyrille104 2+ Year Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Do the pre-reqs for UT Knoxville first for sure. Like I said in another thread, it has a 40% in-state acceptance rate, which is a god-send. But...if you don't have the pre-reqs, that goes out the window.

4. su_grad2007

su_grad2007 Texas A&M 2015 7+ Year Member

Dec 5, 2006
    TX
    I would definately do the prereqs for your in state school first. More than likely you'll have a better shot of getting in there

5. ri23

ri23 OSU CVM Class of 2011 7+ Year Member

Nov 28, 2006
    ditto

Cyrille - Super Senior Member and a bolded name? When did that happen ;)

6. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks UC Davis c/o 2011 2+ Year Member

May 21, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I would bear in mind though that UTK is one of those schools that weights grades and GREs very heavily. It's 70% of the selection process - they basically give you a purely objective point value derived from your GPA, number of credits completed, and GRE score, and only if you make it through this round do they look at everything else.

7. jnt179

jnt179 2+ Year Member

Mar 28, 2007
    That is why I was thinking more about getting the prereqs out of the way for Mississippi State. I have heard that Mississippi looks at more than just the grades. I would actually rather go to school there even though it is out of state. It is closer to family. My thinking has been to get the ones for MSS out of the way and apply and if I do not get in there then work on the rest of the prereqs and apply a UT the next year. (little more time to pull of my GPA) It is going to be a little easier to get the prereqs done for MSS than UT this year. Am I looking at this the wrong way?

8. JIKJen124

JIKJen124 5+ Year Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Cincinnati
    If you're comfortable knowing this might become a 2 year process, then follow your heart and do the stuff for MS. If you really really want to start in 2008, then if TN is your state school, prep for that program.

9. jnt179

jnt179 2+ Year Member

Mar 28, 2007
    I just got through talking to somebody that deals with several of Mississippi's graduates and she was saying that many of the grads are having problems passing the boards. Does anybody have any useful info about Mississippi's program? I was also told that they are in a restructuring phase. This may help in my "dilemma." I have to decide which prereqs I am going to concentrate on over the next couple of weeks. I am totally back and forth on this. Each one has their pros and cons. I just don't know which to do first.