In-state/out-of-state Vet apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TJenks89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I am a first-time applicant living in the good ol' state of Georgia. This cycle, I ONLY applied to UGA because I was so fearful of the out-of-state tuition prices. I thought this was pretty standard (staying in-state) until I started reading some of the threads on here and realized that it seemed like the majority of people apply all over. If I don't get in this cycle, should I just apply wherever or stick to UGA again? This might be a dumb question, but the thought of paying 50k a year makes me want to cry. Also, can anyone give me feedback on SGU and Ross? If I get over the money issue by next cycle, I think I might apply to the Caribbean schools to see if I get in. Any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys!

I am a first-time applicant living in the good ol' state of Georgia. This cycle, I ONLY applied to UGA because I was so fearful of the out-of-state tuition prices. I thought this was pretty standard (staying in-state) until I started reading some of the threads on here and realized that it seemed like the majority of people apply all over. If I don't get in this cycle, should I just apply wherever or stick to UGA again? This might be a dumb question, but the thought of paying 50k a year makes me want to cry. Also, can anyone give me feedback on SGU and Ross? If I get over the money issue by next cycle, I think I might apply to the Caribbean schools to see if I get in. Any advice is appreciated!

Unfortunately that's a question only you can answer.

If you are uncomfortable paying high tuition/taking loans (which others besides you are as well...you're not alone!) you should look into re-applying to your in-state and also looking at schools that either have cheap OOS tuition or have the ability for you to gain in-state tuition after a year...there is a thread on that somewhere around here....I know North Carolina allows you to gain in state after the first year which would save you a significant amount on tuition, and there are other schools that have similar policies.

Some schools you're OOS no matter what.

So if you don't get in this year, I'd say spend some time doing some research as to what you would be most comfortable doing. If that's only appying to UGA again next year then good luck! and if it's expanding your application to other schools then good luck as well! But only you can decide how much debt you're comfortable taking on :)

I agree with you TJ I can't swallow 50k a year either, much less could I actually get approved for that much cash. I'm only going to apply to my IS. How does that work with student loans? The thought goes through my mind.... yeah your accepted but the government won't loan you the money to finish.

Members don't see this ad :)
I share similar sentiments but I think the amount you can borrow depends on the school. My cousin is at her (and my) IS and she was able to borrow over $40k I believe and that is above the cost of tuition. I believe it really depends on the school you're considering. This year (my first time applying), I applied to my IS as well as 3 others. So, it all depends on you really. :)

I was in kind of the opposite boat - Penn was my IS school and it costs an arm and a leg even as a resident. I purposely applied to four additional OOS schools that either had lower non-resident tuition or allow you to change your residency very easily. NC State and Missouri, for example, have painless and pretty fool-proof ways to change your residency status after a year, greatly reducing your annual tuition. Wisconsin has a fairly low non-resident tuition that you keep all four years. So while no school may be AS cost-effective as your UGA, there are definitely alternatives that won't have you $200,000+ in debt.

How are you guaranteed loans up to cost of attendance? I'm curious because my credit is kind of a train wreck and I've been worrying about even getting loans to cover school...

How are you guaranteed loans up to cost of attendance? I'm curious because my credit is kind of a train wreck and I've been worrying about even getting loans to cover school...

Educational loans (the Stafford loans) from the government aren't credit-based, and you can borrow about $42,500 per year for school. I think if you need additional money from GradPLUS loans those might be credit-based.

Also, remember if you graduate from a Caribbean school you will have to take "extra" exams in order to practice here. Some states have the cheaper version of the test of only a $1,000 or so but, the ones who don't, you can expect to pay upwards of $8,000 (from what I've heard).

I'm out of state at Wisconsin, and my tuition here is cheaper than it would have been at my in-state school. It's an anomaly, but a good reason to apply here.