In-state residencies/fellowships

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Ray, Jan 26, 2001.

1. Ray

Ray Member
    10+ Year Member

Are in-state residents given preference for residencies and/or fellowships at state-supported medical schools/hospitals?

2. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Probably not.

Considering that residents don't pay tuition and any types of fees to work, I don't see why a state-supported medical school would show preference for state resident med school graduate.

Tim W. of N.Y.C.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Ray

Ray Member
    10+ Year Member

Yeah but state schools usually include in their mission statements something like "...to graduate future physicians who will provide care in _________(insert state)."
    Now I understand that this is partially due to state-funding and that residencies are federally-funded. However, it still seems that state-supported hospitals would be inclined to train (future) physicians that will likely practice in that state - i.e., an in-state resident.

And as for fellowships.... I have no idea.

4. Detroit Rock City

10+ Year Member

Ray,
    I think residencies and fellowships may consider in state applicants but for a different reason. I believe that they want the best bang for the buck so to speak. If everything else is equal, I think (and this is just my humble opinion) that they would prefer a candidate that was more familiar with the area and therefore more inclined to be happier throuought their experience.
    I could be wrong however!
    DRC

5. Chris Seattle

Chris Seattle Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

By the way, I just joined and would like to ask a basic question so please do not be offended anyone. How much do residents make? Is there any way to find out averages for particular residencies or is it the unasked question because it isn't important to the general population? I have a wife and lifing like the easily mobile single person is not as easy for me...thanks anybody for a reply [​IMG]

6. Chris Seattle

Chris Seattle Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

well, it appears through study that residents of various specialties make in the range of $30k to $40k per year. I guess that re-paying school loans won't be happening during residency.

7. RBorhani

RBorhani Emergency Physician
    10+ Year Member

There are no State residency requirements for fellowship or residencies since residency programs are supported by federal money (Medicare) only. In my residency program (Univ of IL) we have residents from HI, CA, NY, etc....

You can find out the salary for any residency program you want through AMA's Frieda http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/2997.html
    It does not make any difference what specialty you are in only which residency program you are at. At Univ of IL-OSF the salary range is:

First year resident's salary $ 39,500 / yr.
    Second year resident's salary$ 40,300 / yr.
    Third year resident's salary$ 41,100 / yr.
    Fourth year Chief Resident's salary... $ 41,900 / yr.

and if you do primary care i.e. IM IM/Ped or family Med you get an additional $10,000 signing bonus.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...