in state residency: CA vs. MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tokyoalisa1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the purposes of getting into a public medical school, would it be better to remain a CA resident or become a MD resident?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard CA doesn't have enough medical school spots for the number of its residents that apply every year. That's why the state is trying to open up new schools in Merced and Riverside but the plans have been snagged because of CA's financial situation. It's just something I heard, I don't know anything about Maryland so I can't compare.

Probably MD. California is especially tough.

Members don't see this ad :)
MD.

Its relatively small size means you're definitely competing with fewer in-state applicants, and I'd assume it also make it easier to argue your ties to the area/states bordering MD. I mean, unless you live in podunk nowhere in CA, at any given time you're probably 200+ miles from the nearest state border. How far is it from Baltimore to Va or PA? Like 50 miles, tops? I'm probably completely wrong, but I'd think that would make it easier to argue at nearby schools that you'd remain in the area to practice, which they always like to hear (if it's believable, I'd imagine it'd be harder to argue as a Ca resident that you want to settle down in Jersey or something)

Probably MD. California is especially tough.

Some things to consider

California
1) More public medical schools
2) 1 out of 8 Americans live in California
3) Proposition 209 prohibits affirmative action
4) California is broke and cutting funding to many universities and social programs like Medi-Cal (Medicaid)
5) High taxes

Maryland
1) One public medical school
2) 1/7 the population of California

Like what the above poster said.
I am currently a CA resident. The competition is much more intense than let's say...if I were a KS or an MO resident.

Last edited:
if u want to go to a cali school ur better off being a cali resident.

Obviously but the question was whether the OP is better off being a cali resident if the OP wants to go to any public school.

CA schools might be tougher individually but you've got a lot more chances; in MD it'll be one and done. Pretty tough decision.