In state residency: TX vs OH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dabake

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been living in Ohio all my life and just graduated from an Ohio school in May. I am planning on applying to medical schools in 2015, however for the next year or so, I will be working doing research in San Antonio, TX. With a 29 MCAT and 3.68 GPA I was wondering which state would provide me with the best option to receive an acceptance to one of their state schools. I just recently moved, so the one year domicile in Texas in order to earn residency would be in effect during the application process, so my application could be viewed as an in-state applicant in Texas. Another option would be for my parents to claim me on their tax returns for 2014 since I lived with them for part of the year and retain my Ohio residency. Essentially my question is: is Ohio usually more lenient with OOS students who have ties to the state if I would declare Texas residency?

Members don't see this ad.

So I've been living in Ohio all my life and just graduated from an Ohio school in May. I am planning on applying to medical schools in 2015, however for the next year or so, I will be working doing research in San Antonio, TX. With a 29 MCAT and 3.68 GPA I was wondering which state would provide me with the best option to receive an acceptance to one of their state schools. I just recently moved, so the one year domicile in Texas in order to earn residency would be in effect during the application process, so my application could be viewed as an in-state applicant in Texas. Another option would be for my parents to claim me on their tax returns for 2014 since I lived with them for part of the year and retain my Ohio residency. Essentially my question is: is Ohio usually more lenient with OOS students who have ties to the state if I would declare Texas residency?
OH is more likely to admit an IS applicant (36.2%) than TX (35.8%). TX schools (except Baylor) are required by statute to matriculate at least 90% IS. You need to go the MSAR to do an analysis on OOS matriculates in OH to hazard an educated guess on OH schools.

I would say Texas. Your MCAT is within the 10th to 90th percentile for 3 of the Ohio schools and it's within the 10th to 90th percentile of 6 of the Texas schools.

Also, do you know if having your parents claim you as a dependent lets you keep Ohio residency? Won't you lose it on January 2015?

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you be able to show that you are supporting yourself independently? is the research a contract job that seems temporary? If you are still being supported by your parents, it is possible to claim that you are living out of state temporarily and that you intend to keep Ohio as your place of permanent residency. If you intend the move to Texas to be permanent, you need to show that you you moved , are independent, and have documentation to back up your move (DL, lease, etc).

Would you be able to show that you are supporting yourself independently? is the research a contract job that seems temporary? If you are still being supported by your parents, it is possible to claim that you are living out of state temporarily and that you intend to keep Ohio as your place of permanent residency. If you intend the move to Texas to be permanent, you need to show that you you moved , are independent, and have documentation to back up your move (DL, lease, etc).

Just wondering, could a job be considered temporary if it's a permanent job, but I expect to voluntarily quit within a year?

So that puts me where I can play up either side if I choose. The research job is temporary and the contract is written up for "one year and renewable yearly for up to five years." So from that point of view, the Texas stint can be looked at as a temporary situation and I would welcome a move back to Ohio. However, I am fully independent and have my own lease and have moved the DL and car registration to Texas. Pretty much either way, I can pose a case for residency. I just haven't decided which state yet.

Word of caution: look into Texas residency statutes. I moved to a state for a job and worked at that job for over a year but wasn't considered a resident because I didn't intend to keep that job while potentially attending med school. That law might be state specific, but better safe than sorry!

So that puts me where I can play up either side if I choose. The research job is temporary and the contract is written up for "one year and renewable yearly for up to five years." So from that point of view, the Texas stint can be looked at as a temporary situation and I would welcome a move back to Ohio. However, I am fully independent and have my own lease and have moved the DL and car registration to Texas. Pretty much either way, I can pose a case for residency. I just haven't decided which state yet.

I would be careful. I was specifically told not to change my DL and car registration to a new state to keep my old residency status, so that might put your Ohio residency in jeopardy.

Word of caution: look into Texas residency statutes. I moved to a state for a job and worked at that job for over a year but wasn't considered a resident because I didn't intend to keep that job while potentially attending med school. That law might be state specific, but better safe than sorry!

Which state did you move from and which state did you want to gain residency?

Doesn't it depend on the specific med schools though? Like for UW, they just consider IS residents as those who have been working in Washington for at least 6 months (and I presume filing taxes for Washington), but the DoR for Washington has a bunch of other criteria that you can qualify as a resident of the state..