In State Tuition for Out of State Folks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok, I'm curious about a different application of this one. If you move to Kansas with a spouse, who then does all the things necessary to become a resident, and a year goes by...then you're married to a Kansas resident, right? I feel like I read something on their website that says this doesn't work, though.

OR

What if you move to Kansas with a non-spouse signficiant other. Who becomes a Kansas resident by doing all those necessary things and being there for a year. And then you marry them. Does that count in terms of establishing residency by marrying a Kansas resident? I feel like, while both of these scenarios sound plausible, they'll likely be unallowable as they miss the spirit of the rule. Maybe? Again, I guess I'll just ask KSU.

Since I moved to Kansas sans spouse or significant other, I truly have no idea because it never crossed my mind to ask. Those are interesting questions to ponder however. If you happen to call and get an answer, please let us know what you find out.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see why marrying someone who moved there with you wouldn't be all right, as long as they got a license etc., etc. and lived there a year with you. They will be paying KS taxes and so are you really (if there is sales tax there), so technically and "spiritually" it would seem fine, IMO.

IL lets you marry a spouse too for in-state.

NC State is one of the easier places in the country to get in state tuition, or so I've been told by friends that are from out of state. North Carolina is not as strict as some other states about all the regulations, and most of them are pretty simple. I don't know anyone who applied and didn't get it the first time they applied unless they missed some requirement or something.

Also, with regards to that list of schools that you can/can't... Tennessee does allow it, but it's pretty tough to get the state to go for it. Hope that helps!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I really don't think this is true. I tried to get in-state residency recently after living and going to school there for 2 years and they would not let me. It's one of those states where you have to live there for a year without going to school while holding down a job to get in-state. It didn't used to be that way, but they changed the rules a few years back. Sorry. :(

NC State is one of the easier places in the country to get in state tuition, or so I've been told by friends that are from out of state. North Carolina is not as strict as some other states about all the regulations, and most of them are pretty simple. I don't know anyone who applied and didn't get it the first time they applied unless they missed some requirement or something.

Also, with regards to that list of schools that you can/can't... Tennessee does allow it, but it's pretty tough to get the state to go for it. Hope that helps!:)

These two responses seem to contradict each other. I hope you are correct wolfpacktwirler, bc NC state is a great school. I am from south carolina but have tons of family in north carolina, so would love to live in raleigh. But i really could not afford to pay OOS all four years. This all might be a moot point since I probably won't get in. But if I do (they let OOS know by mid Jan), I will make it a point to clarify this. But thanks, your postitive response gives me hope, especially since you are an insider.

I actually went through the process of trying to become a resident when I was there for undergrad. I transferred all my stuff and even lived there for 6 months before going to school. Here are the facts:

http://www.ncsu.edu/legal/legal_topics/residency.php#I

These four are the ones that'll get ya:

2. Student first begins living in North Carolina only after enrolling in a public university;
3. Student lives in the State only while in school and returns to another state during vacations and holidays;
4. A parent or someone outside North Carolina provides financial support;
5. Student leaves permanent possessions in another state and only brings to North Carolina what is necessary for temporary stay.

And as far as TN, I go here. Trust me, you can't. If you could, I would be doing it. I know who makes the decisions, and if you move here just to go to school, you can't become a resident.

I really don't think this is true. I tried to get in-state residency recently after living and going to school there for 2 years and they would not let me. It's one of those states where you have to live there for a year without going to school while holding down a job to get in-state. It didn't used to be that way, but they changed the rules a few years back. Sorry. :(

This is not my understanding... I spoke to the admissions department at NCSU in September '07 when I was applying and they told me that it is not a problem to establish residency and switch to in-state tuition after your first year. They seriously made it sound like that is what everyone does... That is a huge plus in their favor in my opinion, as their in state tuition is like $11 or $12 grand.

I also spoke with CSU and Oregon and they both said no way jose on establishing residency. If you apply and are accepted as an out of stater you are stuck that way for the entire 4 years.

My roommate is a 2nd year at NCSU and she got in state this year - she is from the Northeast. My other roommate is a 3rd year and is out of state because she goes home in the summers and all of that.

:) Hope this helps!

My ex got in-state tuition after a year at NCSU, but his parents lived in NC and that was the main reason he got it. Listen, all I can do is tell you the experience I had.

I know you can get Ohio State in-state after a year, but after talking to the people about the fine print, I realized it would be really hard in my particular situation.

I talked to someone at the exotics symposium as well as others who have gained residency in NC, who had to live and work there for a year before getting it.

JUST READ THE FINE PRINT AND TALK DIRECTLY WITH THE PERSON WHO MAKES THE DECISION REGARDING YOUR RESIDENCY before you decide to go there.