In-state tuition for out-of-staters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

janeno

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How hard is it to establish an in-state residency after one year for out-of-state students? Which schools have more lenient policieis on this issue? I tried doing a search on this topic, but my results were pretty unsucessful... I would really appreciate anybody's help... I am especially interested in University of Oklahoma, but if you could tell me about other schools that would also be helpful ...

Members don't see this ad.

janeno said:
How hard is it to establish an in-state residency after one year for out-of-state students? Which schools have more lenient policieis on this issue? I tried doing a search on this topic, but my results were pretty unsucessful... I would really appreciate anybody's help... I am especially interested in University of Oklahoma, but if you could tell me about other schools that would also be helpful ...

It totally depends on the state that you're trying to get residency in - the school has to follow state law. I would contact U of Oklahoma's admissions office/registrar and ask them what you need to do.

Heck, I was bored... see if this answers your questions: http://www.ou.edu/admrec/residency.htm

I believe that most schools keep your residency status the same throughout your schooling. If you are admitted as a non-resident, your are a non-resident until you graduate. They maximize their tuition dollars this way. Think about this: If everyone was considered a resident after the first year of school, what would be the point of having 2 different tuition rates?

Members don't see this ad :)
farmskool said:
I believe that most schools keep your residency status the same throughout your schooling. If you are admitted as a non-resident, your are a non-resident until you graduate. They maximize their tuition dollars this way. Think about this: If everyone was considered a resident after the first year of school, what would be the point of having 2 different tuition rates?
This is not true. That is true for undergraduate education. But for graduate schools, it is often easier to become a resident. This is really designed to attact phd students, but pharmacy schools often fall under in with regular graduate schools.

Really you need to check with each school you are thinking about attending, since each states law's are different.

When I interviewed at U of Cinncinnati, they said I should be able to get instate after a year if I lived off campus.

I think for some states if you have a full time job in the state while going to school then you will become an instate resident, but thats certainly hard to do with pharmacy school. Also, if you have a spouse with a full time job in the state or buy a house I think that can get you residency status.

TMVegas said:
When I interviewed at U of Cinncinnati, they said I should be able to get instate after a year if I lived off campus.

Yup, I was told the same thing. Apparently it is really easy to become a resident of Ohio, and once you do you qualify for in-state tuition! Woo hoo.

I know that at certain schools (Ex: Nova), you maintain your out of state status throughtout the 4 years, regardless if you become a resident of the state or not.

Moxxie said:
It totally depends on the state that you're trying to get residency in - the school has to follow state law. I would contact U of Oklahoma's admissions office/registrar and ask them what you need to do.

Heck, I was bored... see if this answers your questions: http://www.ou.edu/admrec/residency.htm

Thank you Moxxie for the website. I found this information before, and I also know that you can petition for residency at some schools including OU. However, I am not sure if I actually will be granted in-state tuition (since they get more profit from me being an out-of-stater). That is why, I was wondering if anybody could name some states or paticular schools at which it is easy to get an in-state residency. It is just I really don't want to attend any of the schools in my home state.

When I was at my interview for Colorado they made it sound pretty easy to become a resident. You just need to do some basic things like register to vote, and such.