In State Tuition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2caps

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I come from a state that doesn't have a dental school, and without that luxury I could end up spending a bundle on tuition for four years. I know that Ohio state offers in state tuition to out-of-staters after the first year of dental school. Are there any other state schools that offer the same in state status after a year? Specifically I wonder about Virginia Commonwealth, the University of Louisville, and the University of Maryland. Do these or any other schools offer the much needed tuition discount?

Members don't see this ad.

I know university of Buffalo does. Its an amazing school!

to my knowledge once you lived in a state for a year you are eligble to recieve in state tution at any state school. as far as undergrad the problem comes when you live on campus i think that a stipulatian preventing you from being considered a state resident. If you live off campus(as im sure you will in dental school) you will have utility bills that will support your residency. to get to the point i have been told by a student at louisville that you can get in state tuition after your first year but you must make them give it to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe Smile Bright is right on the nose. I think if you live off campus you can claim residency after the first year at any school, but in a dorm its not the case.

Uconn offers in-state tuition for people from other states. It's an excellent school...I heard the class of 2003 scored #2 on part I of the national boards and the previous year also scored very high. You take classes with the medical students and they tend to stress on specialty. With only 40 students in a class you tend to recieve the best education. Some state schools don't care whether you declare residency or not...you still have to pay out-state tuition even after first year....ucla and ucsf are two examples.

from what i know after having talked to "residency classification officers" one has to be not only physically present in the state but also be there for a primary purpose other than just education. Preponderence of evidence for in state classification includes full time employment in that state for a year or parental ties.
i think uconn is an exception...NC Resident Status Classification Guide