In terms of matchings and research, is a 1st author review paper worth anything?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

forsparta

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

A P.I. just offered me a spot in his lab to write a review paper on a specific gene. I would be a first author (since I am writing it) on this paper and it would be published in a journal that is reputable (not a top journal, but not a bottom feeder as well).

Will this improve my chances for residency app? Is this a good start for my research career or is this enough for frields like IM?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It isn't research, but for residency the truth is any publications are good, first author even better.

To be honest, I don't think they particularly care what the publication is unless you're applying to a research track position.

You should try to do some research too, but writing a review article will definitely help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, this is really great news. In the end, it'll still be a great experience that'll help you down the line when you write more papers. It'll definitely boost your residency apps. Good luck!

Why on earth would you think that matter? :cool:

Pubs good, first author pubs better, no pubs... bad

It isn't research, but for residency the truth is any publications are good, first author even better.

To be honest, I don't think they particularly care what the publication is unless you're applying to a research track position.

You should try to do some research too, but writing a review article will definitely help.

Bottom line:

-Any publication is better than no publication
-Any first author publication is better than a second, third, etc. author publication

This is (in all honesty) going to be my only first author publication. I know when residency time comes along everything is evaluated together, and so I hope having one first author paper completing (2 or more hopefully) other papers will help.