In the area email/phone? opinions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctaFuture

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have some questions. I have an interview coming up in a few months. I was thinking about notifying some of the surrounding schools that I'll be in the area. I was wondering whether I should e-mail them or call them? Also, what was in the body of the "in the area" email? Did you guys list specifically the school you'll be interviewing at? Any opinions guys? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Email them first. If you don't hear anything, then call a few days later. Don't come off pushy, I would guess about 30% of the schools will accommodate you.

Email them first. If you don't hear anything, then call a few days later. Don't come off pushy, I would guess about 30% of the schools will accommodate you.

sirdoug or anyone, should I mention the school and date of my interview/when I'll be in the area? thanks.

sirdoug or anyone, should I mention the school and date of my interview/when I'll be in the area? thanks.

I did this twice. One time it worked, one time it did not. I emailed both times.

I mentioned the date I was interviewing at the other school (and told them explicitly I was interviewing at another school), but I did not name the school. Though, they probably could easily figure it out based on the city I was in. You want to make sure to include your other interview date, so if they do accommodate you, it's as close to that date as possible to avoid having to hang around too long (and so they don't actually schedule you on that same date).

Just word your email very carefully. Be humble and not presumptuous. It will be fine. Good luck.