"In the Area" Email

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2050vlsb

bleed blue and gold
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've searched through old forums, but didn't find all that much on the issue. I'm flying to NY in little less than two weeks (from CA) for an interview and randomly heard that, especially if you're coming from farther away, you can send an "in the area" email to other schools in the area to let them know? I've applied to a few other NY schools as well, but haven't heard anything back from them .. is it still appropriate to contact them?

My gut sense is saying you're in the area isn't going to drastically change your fate at a school, but if they were considering sending you an invite, this might have it come up a little sooner? Any opinions on this?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I've searched through old forums, but didn't find all that much on the issue. I'm flying to NY in little less than two weeks (from CA) for an interview and randomly heard that, especially if you're coming from farther away, you can send an "in the area" email to other schools in the area to let them know? I've applied to a few other NY schools as well, but haven't heard anything back from them .. is it still appropriate to contact them?

My gut sense is saying you're in the area isn't going to drastically change your fate at a school, but if they were considering sending you an invite, this might have it come up a little sooner? Any opinions on this?

Thanks!

I did this at two schools. For one school, it worked. At the other it didn't. I think it is ok to send one, just make sure you don't come off demanding or presumptuous.

You may want to pose this question in the school specific threads (if you haven't already) to see if your potential recipients are open to a letter like this.

Rereading your post again, you may want to refrain for the time being. When I originally sent mine, I first asked my premed adviser. She told me to make sure and send it way in advance because schools schedule way in advance. You are going to two weeks. If you send an email, it just seems like there would be a low chance of it working, plus it may reflect poorly on you for not giving them much time (not sure on that, just a guess but seems to make sense).

If you are truly desperate to save time and money. Go ahead and send one. But, the chance of success seems pretty small at this point. If the opportunity arises again, make sure to do it asap.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply, Barcu! I only got the invitation myself on Tuesday, and had the option of scheduling for the 21st or 28th .. and I figured earlier might be better. However, I just recently realized I could potentially email. The last thing I want to do is paint myself poorly to the AdCom, and if necessary, I'm willing to fly out again. However, if I word it in a way that reflects this, and acknowledge that I don't want to inconvenience them and it's fine if it is not possible, you think it'd be okay. I'll also post in the School Specific forums .. thanks for the help!

Thanks for the reply, Barcu! I only got the invitation myself on Tuesday, and had the option of scheduling for the 21st or 28th .. and I figured earlier might be better. However, I just recently realized I could potentially email. The last thing I want to do is paint myself poorly to the AdCom, and if necessary, I'm willing to fly out again. However, if I word it in a way that reflects this, and acknowledge that I don't want to inconvenience them and it's fine if it is not possible, you think it'd be okay. I'll also post in the School Specific forums .. thanks for the help!

School specific forums seem to be the best route now.

I think you could send one. I worded mine extremely cautiously. I think they get these requests frequently, so I am sure it's not a deal-breaker. If they reflected poorly on you, you probably weren't going to be seriously considered anyway. I would guess that they would be pretty cruel to judge you like that for something like this. That is also the vibe I got from my premed adviser. She said the worst thing they could say was no.