in the area emails?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pandaeac

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who do we Email them to and what do people usually say?

Members don't see this ad.

Can you clarify what you mean with you question? Are you referring to asking around for shadowing or something?

Can you clarify what you mean with you question? Are you referring to asking around for shadowing or something?
Sorry, I wasn't very clear! I mean sending them to med schools saying you'll be in the region of their school and are wondering if they'd consider you sooner for an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, I don't know then. I'm not certain how interview dates are determined. Good luck, anyway!

I think they're generally received fairly well if you already have an interview at the school and you want to schedule it for a different or more convenient time. Sending an "in the area" email to a school that hasn't even extended an interview invite may not be the best idea; I could see it backfiring.

i'm interested in seeing what people have to say about this as well. Is it easy to ask schools to change interview dates outside of the ones they offer to you?

family member of mine was in the area of a top 10 very far from home so he called and said he'd applied to their school and was wondering if he could get an interview... was later accepted and matriculated...

Sorry, I wasn't very clear! I mean sending them to med schools saying you'll be in the region of their school and are wondering if they'd consider you sooner for an interview.

'In the area' emails are usually sent if you have an interview at School A, which is near School B, where you don't have an II, and you want to book one trip to the area rather than several. This is a good strategy to get interviews, and some schools--not all-- will extend an II. Just don't lie about IIs; word can get around quickly, particularly at schools in close proximity.

It might be helpful if someone made a list of schools responsive to these emails. I'll start

Schools that have been responsive to 'in the area' emails-- UCincy
Schools not responsive-- Georgetown, GWU

Thanks everyone for the helpful info! Is it best to say which school you have an interview with, or just mention that you'll be in the area for an interview?

Thanks everyone for the helpful info! Is it best to say which school you have an interview with, or just mention that you'll be in the area for an interview?

I doubt explicitly saying which school you have another interview at could ever be positive.

I intend to send in the area emails if I am in the area for EITHER another interview or something else (family visit or whatever). Why specify?

This could go hand in hand with that guy asking a few days ago about how to request another interview date if you already have an interview at a different school. Volunteering unasked for information is rarely needed or beneficial.

I want to come back to this question. So if we are writing an "in the area" email, do we actually say that we will be in the area from [date] to [date] for an interview at School A? Or be more general and say we are there for another interview? Or to not even mention about the other interview, but just say that we will be in the area from [date] to [date]?

I want to come back to this question. So if we are writing an "in the area" email, do we actually say that we will be in the area from [date] to [date] for an interview at School A? Or be more general and say we are there for another interview? Or to not even mention about the other interview, but just say that we will be in the area from [date] to [date]?

No need to say the other place you are interviewing at. I mean, you could be there visiting family! If you are there, you might as well just tell them when you will be there so that you might be offered an interview.

The worst that could happen is they don't read the letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do any of you know if Harvard, Hopkins, or Penn are receptive to accommodating "in the area" emails from West Coast applicants. Or would it seem too presumptuous (even for a competitive applicant)?

E-mail the admissions secretary or equivalent position. You can even call if you have good social school.

Be nice about it and some places will be flexible

What is everyone's take on how many "in the area emails" are appropriate to send to one school...
For example, If I were planning to be in the NYC area in a few weeks for an interview at school A and want to send school B an "in the area" -- would i be able to send school B an additional "in the area" if I am back in the area later to interview for school C?

Sorry if this is a little confusing. Obviously badgering the school is not the way to go but I anticipate several trips to similar regions over the next few months and I just want to be able to make the most of them. Thank you!

What is everyone's take on how many "in the area emails" are appropriate to send to one school...
For example, If I were planning to be in the NYC area in a few weeks for an interview at school A and want to send school B an "in the area" -- would i be able to send school B an additional "in the area" if I am back in the area later to interview for school C?

Sorry if this is a little confusing. Obviously badgering the school is not the way to go but I anticipate several trips to similar regions over the next few months and I just want to be able to make the most of them. Thank you!

My opinion as a fellow applicant: send both sets of dates in one email or only send an email about one set of dates. Some schools already dislike ITA emails (from what some people have posted in terms of ITA email response in some of the school-specific threads), so I would avoid sending two ITA emails to one school (that definitely seems like you're pestering the school for an interview, though I definitely understand your legit traveling concerns).

My opinion as a fellow applicant: send both sets of dates in one email or only send an email about one set of dates. Some schools already dislike ITA emails (from what some people have posted in terms of ITA email response in some of the school-specific threads), so I would avoid sending two ITA emails to one school (that definitely seems like you're pestering the school for an interview, though I definitely understand your legit traveling concerns).

Thank you! That's pretty much what I figured but... Had to ask. :) Thanks!

Thank you! That's pretty much what I figured but... Had to ask. :) Thanks!

No problem! Better to ask than continually wonder/worry. Hope it works out well for you. :)

E-mail the admissions secretary or equivalent position. You can even call if you have good social school.

Be nice about it and some places will be flexible

Yes, if you're nice and reasonable, most places won't give you trouble for asking. They may not be able (or willing) to accommodate you, but you have to know that going in. I find it unlikely anyone would penalize an applicant for requesting this as it isn't an uncommon practice.

I can say that I have personally sent "travel restriction" emails to four schools that have offered me interviews and they've all tried to work with me in the end. It of course is easier if you already have received an interview, but even for a couple I hadn't received an interview yet (and am thinking about sending another such email to my last school I'm waiting on). Just be professional and it'll be handled professionally.

I agree :thumbup:

How early do you think we should send these emails? I have an interview at a school in NYC, but not until February. I have applied to 4 other schools in the immediate area too that I have not heard from. Coming from the west coast, it would be ideal to get it all done that weekend. But I feel that now is too early.

How early do you think we should send these emails? I have an interview at a school in NYC, but not until February. I have applied to 4 other schools in the immediate area too that I have not heard from. Coming from the west coast, it would be ideal to get it all done that weekend. But I feel that now is too early.

You've got plenty of time. I would let them take their time. It's better to ask to reschedule an interview once they've offered you one than to ask them to both give you an interview and schedule it on a particular date.

I've a related question. I scored an interview at one school in the northeast, and sent an in the area email to one that's close by. Call that one school A. After about a week they responded and said they're sorry but my packet is still waiting for review. So i go ahead and send a similar note to another school, B, with the same request.

B hasn't responded yet, but in the meantime school A has reviewed my file and invited me to interview on the date i requested.

My question is, do i send school B a note saying Nevermind, or do i just decline the interview if offered? It's been maybe two weeks since i emailed school B with no response.