In the area...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doinmybest5840

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be in NYC for four days in October, Saturday to Tuesday. I already notified two of the four schools I applied to in the city that I'll be there on those days, but have heard nothing. Should I notify the other two schools as well? I honestly don't think it would happen (especially with my stats), but I'm a little worried that if I do tell all four schools, three or four will invite me for interviews on that Monday and Tuesday and then I'll look like an ass when I have to reschedule. Thoughts? Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Bump. Someone has to have an opinion on this. I know people are looking at it! Haha

I'm going to be in NYC for four days in October, Saturday to Tuesday. I already notified two of the four schools I applied to in the city that I'll be there on those days, but have heard nothing. Should I notify the other two schools as well? I honestly don't think it would happen (especially with my stats), but I'm a little worried that if I do tell all four schools, three or four will invite me for interviews on that Monday and Tuesday and then I'll look like an ass when I have to reschedule. Thoughts? Thanks. :)

if they haven't invited you for an interview, they won't do it just because your in town.

Members don't see this ad :)
There was a thread like this before. I think the recurring advice was to notify them by e-mail (so as not to put someone on the spot on the phone) and make sure to tell them that you'd be happy to make a separate trip out later for an interview if need be (so they don't think it's a now or never situation).

if they haven't invited you for an interview, they won't do it just because your in town.
I know that. Trust me, I don't expect them to throw interviews at me just because I'll be there. But there's always a chance that they could be currently considering your application when you let them know you'll be there, so who knows. Stranger things have happened.

Pretty sure it has happened for other SDNers.

OP: How long has it been since you notified the first two? If more than a week or so, I would tell the other two also. Schools must know how hard it is to schedule stuff, so if you do wind up having to reschedule, I don't think they're going to red flag your file. That's not an expert opinion or anything, just what I'd do.

I concur. Let them know, but make it clear that you will come back out for an interview if they are not in the position to make a decision. I was wondering, though, is it only okay to do this if you have another interview? Or is it okay to do this if you will just be in the area in general visiting family, etc?

Taylor- I sent one of the emails a while ago (several weeks) and the other I just sent tonight. I'm assuming I won't be hearing from the first, but who knows about the second. I'm thinking I'll give it until Monday and then send emails to the last two schools if I haven't heard anything.

chickenlittle- I'll be in town just on a mini-vacation with friends, and I'm still sending it. I think it's okay to send an email no matter what the reason you're there.