In the event of multiple acceptances, how does one go about leveraging a scholarship?

May 21, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
In current sitting at two II's and expecting more by the end of next month. In the event of multiple acceptances, is it possible/a good idea to try and leverage a a scholarship? Or would I end up screwing myself?

If this is a good idea, how does one go about this?

@Goro would love your advice.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: MADD!!!

Marrowist

Bone Boy
2+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2016
Status
Sounds like a very bad idea. For each acceptance, there is a long line of people that would gladly take your spot without a scholarship. However, let's see what more seasoned members have to say.

OP
ATPsynthase123
May 21, 2016
Status
Sounds like a very bad idea. For each acceptance, there is a long line of people that would gladly take your spot without a scholarship. However, let's see what more seasoned members have to say.
That's what I figured, but my advisor said I should do this. Sounded like terrible advice though

Marrowist

Bone Boy
2+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2016
Status
Well as I said, let's see what others say. But multiple acceptances is a win/win!

Wjldenver

5+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Status
Non-Student
In current sitting at two II's and expecting more by the end of next month. In the event of multiple acceptances, is it possible/a good idea to try and leverage a a scholarship? Or would I end up screwing myself?

On a given DO school's home page, use the search function and enter scholarship. Some school's offer sweet deals to resident's of the state they are located in. There are other scholarships available as well.

tony101

2+ Year Member
May 3, 2016
Status
Medical Student

You can't bargain to schools I believe. I think the websites give you the change to look at your scholarship options HOWEVER I don't think you can say "AZCOM has accepted me as well, if you want to keep me Xcom, then you should sweeten the deal". That will probably go very badly....Unless you are the Tony Stark of Medicine

TheLeadSeed

5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2012
Maryland
Status
Pre-Medical
"but my advisor.."

Now everything makes sense...the general consensus here is take their advice with a grain of salt. In other words, they usually don't know what they're talking about.

Peach Newport

board certified in jewish dermatology
5+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Lots of pre-med advisors really know their stuff. Mine was incredibly knowledgable and I'd trust her with pretty much anything related to medical school. That's why universities pay them.

That being said, whoever told OP this has absolutely no business being a pre-med advisor.

As others have said, it is absolutely ridiculous to think that you'd be able to leverage a scholarship out of a medical school based on multiple acceptances. Med school is not law school. Applicants are lucky to get one acceptance. Getting a scholarship for medical school at all is fairly uncommon. DO NOT try to weasel a scholarship out of a medical school based on multiple acceptances.

Reactions: UserUnidentified420
Jun 11, 2016
At the UCD Pre-Health Conference, there was a reputable person hosting a workshop that discussed "leveraging" acceptances. They said you could call and ask to the school if they could offer any sort of scholarship because so-and-so school has offered you one and lowered your tuition cost (or has lower tuition). But, never lie about it. :)

MADD!!!

2+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2015
Status

I think it's different in the MD vs. DO world. In the MD world, it is more possible to leverage multiple acceptances. Also, I believe once an MD school accepts you, they have the ability to see other MD schools who have accepted you as well. If they want you, they will generally provide you with a scholarship or a bonus to attend their program.

DO's on the other hand.... different story.

Scrubs101

2+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I only trust my advisor to a certain extent. This dors not make sense to me. Very bad idea lol
Mine told me to look into the Carib... He didn't mean harm but it really shows how uninformed he was.
Yeah mine told me to not even consider medical school for my future. I will say this was just before I began my upward trend though. I think if I got anything from meeting with him/her I got a little motivation just to prove him/her wrong

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
Most DO school scholarships that I've seen are merit based, for URM, or for members of that state. I have never heard of someone leveraging a scholarship with multiple accepts for DO. The only time I've seen this work is with a guy who was a bad*** of an applicant and he got accepted to a couple top 20's and our state school. I think it only works for the superstars who have multiple top schools who want them really bad.

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
I'd trust her with pretty much anything related to medical school.
Just to add, I wouldn't do this. You can trust them a little but there have been too many applicants who do this and end up having no acceptances or no chance at med school because they allowed their faith in their pre-med advisor blind their judgement. Just because they are being paid doesn't mean that they are actually knowledgable at their job.

OP
ATPsynthase123
May 21, 2016
Status
Just to add, I wouldn't do this. You can trust them a little but there have been too many applicants who do this and end up having no acceptances or no chance at med school because they allowed their faith in their pre-med advisor blind their judgement. Just because they are being paid doesn't mean that they are actually knowledgable at their job.
Yeah, my pre-med advisors are borderline ******ed, so that's why I verify everything they tell me about the application and interviews on SDN or r/premed

Reactions: AnatomyGrey12

kelminak

7+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Yeah mine told me to not even consider medical school for my future. I will say this was just before I began my upward trend though. I think if I got anything from meeting with him/her I got a little motivation just to prove him/her wrong

Same deal man, hope we both prove them wrong.

Apr 26, 2015
Status
I have a friend who had multiple acceptances last cycle and had a tough time deciding where to go. She finally made a decision and one of the schools she declined offered her a scholarship to stay with them. She didn't bargain with schools by any means but I think if a school really wants you they can make a pretty big influence through scholarships. With that being said, all you can do is just do your best and hope they come your way, but negotiating for a scholarship seems kind of grimy.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Honestly, I'd never heard of this happening at DO schools, until I read thread above. I didn't know that some COMs even have money to offer for scholarships. Mine sure doesn't.

With MD schools it only occurs if you're a stellar candidate and have been accepted to a better school.

Reactions: tony101
OP
ATPsynthase123
May 21, 2016
Status
Honestly, I'd never heard of this happening at DO schools, until I read thread above. I didn't know that some COMs even have money to offer for scholarships. Mine sure doesn't.

With MD schools it only occurs if you're a stellar candidate and have been accepted to a better school.
So basically my pre-med advisors are full of it? Lol

DrBowtie

Final Countdown
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Classyville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It happens a fair amount on the MD side, but usually you have to get one scholarship offer to have leverage. Having multiple acceptances alone isn't leverage.

Reactions: Goro

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student

TheLeadSeed

5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2012
Maryland
Status
Pre-Medical
Most premed advisors are as intelligent as a tube of Colgate.
Colgate is one of the leading brands of toothpaste! How dare you insult it by comparing it to pre med advisors.

Reactions: Goro