In the event of re-app with 3.51/510

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chestnut_head

Reaction score
Hello All,

During this gap year, I have the option of pursuing a SMP-like program (Georgetown's Regular Masters in Physiology which highly mimics its SMP program) to boost my GPA or to pursue taking the MCAT for a third time. If I were to become a re-applicant, I would like to have done something this year that would boost me up.

Option A: If I were to retest MCAT, I would scribe this year and wait to see if I got any interviews and if not, start preparing for MCAT again mid-Feb to take in May. Then that next year I could possibly pursue another academic enhancing program while reapplying that next year consecutively, although I understand I won't have grades from that program by the time I interview.
Option B: If I were to take the academic enhancing program, I would likely not have a chance to retake MCAT as I would like to apply the following year. Of course, I would need to do very well in that program but if I did, I would have a nice graduate GPA when I reapply.

What do people think is the better option? Would love to have a discussion and please ask me clarifying questions if anything is confusing!

1/28/17: 501 (127/125/125/124)
7/7/18: 510 (128/125/129/128)

3.51 cGPA, 3.49 BCPM, graduated from a highly competitive top tier school with a BS in Neuroscience
I'm also a California resident, applying to a large quantity of schools (30+), many of them on the lower tier with only a few higher tier schools (Brown, Dartmouth, UPenn, BU, Emory).

Members don't see this ad.

You've shown a nice improvement with the MCAT - I think the priority needs to be on strengthening your sGPA. Taking post-bacc classes in upper level science courses is also an option.

So the Georgetown SMP. I had higher stats than yours. I did well in the program and got 8 interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
During this gap year, I have the option of pursuing a SMP-like program (Georgetown's Regular Masters in Physiology which highly mimics its SMP program) to boost my GPA or to pursue taking the MCAT for a third time.
To clarify, Master's programs (even SMP's) have no effect on undergrad gpa's for MD.
They may have an effect on your candidacy, though.

Reactions: 1 user
You've shown a nice improvement with the MCAT - I think the priority needs to be on strengthening your sGPA. Taking post-bacc classes in upper level science courses is also an option.
Since I graduated with a degree in Neuroscience and have fulfilled all my premed requirements, I was under the impression post-bacc classes weren't an option for me anymore. I've already taken the classes like Orgo and Physics that I thought a normal post-bacc program would include. Am I wrong in thinking that?

So the Georgetown SMP. I had higher stats than yours. I did well in the program and got 8 interviews.
Oh that's cool! I wanted to reiterate that the program I would go to isn't the Georgetown SMP but their Regular Masters in Physiology which also finishes in a year and is science-class heavy, it's just not exclusive to premed students! If you don't mind sharing, what did you come out of the program with?

To clarify, Master's programs (even SMP's) have no effect on undergrad gpa's for MD.
They may have an effect on your candidacy, though.
Do you know how adcoms view graduate GPA vs undergrad GPA weight-wise?

I wanted to mention/include the main reason why I'm struggling so much is that I feel burnt out from school and studying. Right after graduation, I jumped straight into preparing for the MCAT and have only recently gotten my score, and found out that I wasn't actually truly relaxing between the time I took the test and got my score, since I was somewhat anxiously passing the time. The idea of taking more exams and reading more textbooks so soon again frankly is a little scary to think about. But the thought that in the possible future I would come to regret the decision of not doing the program is also frightening.

Since I graduated with a degree in Neuroscience and have fulfilled all my premed requirements, I was under the impression post-bacc classes weren't an option for me anymore. I've already taken the classes like Orgo and Physics that I thought a normal post-bacc program would include. Am I wrong in thinking that?

Yes, you are wrong, lol. You can take post-bacc classes at a university as a non-degree seeking student and these grades would count towards your undergraduate gpa. You should take upper level science courses like genetics, physiology, anatomy, etc. Having some control over what you're taking in a DIY kind of way may help you feel less pressured (since you've talked about being burned out from studying).

Do a search of DIY post-bacc.

Hello All,

During this gap year, I have the option of pursuing a SMP-like program (Georgetown's Regular Masters in Physiology which highly mimics its SMP program) to boost my GPA or to pursue taking the MCAT for a third time. If I were to become a re-applicant, I would like to have done something this year that would boost me up.

Option A: If I were to retest MCAT, I would scribe this year and wait to see if I got any interviews and if not, start preparing for MCAT again mid-Feb to take in May. Then that next year I could possibly pursue another academic enhancing program while reapplying that next year consecutively, although I understand I won't have grades from that program by the time I interview.
Option B: If I were to take the academic enhancing program, I would likely not have a chance to retake MCAT as I would like to apply the following year. Of course, I would need to do very well in that program but if I did, I would have a nice graduate GPA when I reapply.

What do people think is the better option? Would love to have a discussion and please ask me clarifying questions if anything is confusing!

1/28/17: 501 (127/125/125/124)
7/7/18: 510 (128/125/129/128)

3.51 cGPA, 3.49 BCPM, graduated from a highly competitive top tier school with a BS in Neuroscience
I'm also a California resident, applying to a large quantity of schools (30+), many of them on the lower tier with only a few higher tier schools (Brown, Dartmouth, UPenn, BU, Emory).

I am in almost the same boat as you currently, similar stats (509 MCAT, 3.5/6 GPA), already applied once and didn't get in. Also considering attending Georgetown's Regular Masters in Physiology (deciding between this program and Johns Hopkins HSI) or just spending time to retake the MCAT. So far I'm leaning towards Georgetown's program to save myself a year.

Can you send me some info about what you ended up doing/ do you have any advice for someone in the same position?