In the Holding Pattern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Loki

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well..Penn State gave me the infamous "On Hold for Possible Interview" letter...I kinda think this is a nice way of saying "not you bub ;) " It definetly read much better than a rejection letter.

So I'm still hangin on in some places.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Loki, I do think it is their way of gradually rejecting folks... I received one of those letters last year. And then, in about April, a brief PSU rejection letter arrived.

loki- does that say on ur status check or did u get that msg via email/ snail mail?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by aisha:
•loki- does that say on ur status check or did u get that msg via email/ snail mail?•

snail mail

got a hold for possible interview today from UCSD via email...

AWESOME cali79 :) good luck.. ask me if u need any suggestions.. i have lots of friends who have already interviewed there.

:)

aisha: isn't "hold for interview" bad news? (like what loki said in his first msg?). at least that's what i thought...

o cali79 - for some reason i read, "i got an interview" .. sorry. there seriously something wrong with me :), only these days though

Originally posted by aisha:
•AWESOME cali79 :) good luck.. ask me if u need any suggestions.. i have lots of friends who have already interviewed there.

:)

a lot of your friends have already interviewed there? I presume you're talking about recent years.

Andrew

kuta

no - i am talking about this year (at UCSD). UCSD has been interviewing for a while now. my best friend interviewed there on Sept 18th.

Originally posted by cali79:
•aisha: isn't "hold for interview" bad news? (like what loki said in his first msg?). at least that's what i thought...•

you all are such pessimists.
:D relatively few applicants are offered interviews right away. think about it: they'll be interviewing all the way through april or may. and by putting you on hold, they're essentially telling you that they may offer you an interview later. it could have been a rejection letter, but they're telling you that they think you're too competitive to reject--think about it that way. for the record, penn state put me on hold too.

Well, there are some posts from last year regarding PSU, one person got the hold for interview, one week later he/she got the interview invite and was later accepted...

This system is just so damn naughty and complex...When I opened that letter, my gut response was "sure you think I'm good enough... until someone else comes along." Feels a little weird to be someones backup. It is still better than the rejection.

sandflea, loki-

You guys (or gals) are right. A hold for interview is better than a rejection letter...

I would really like to stay in california and I guess I was a little disapponted when I got a hold for interview and some of my friends have already interviewed at UCSD.

I got it too! I was pretty disappointed, but it least there is still some possibility of an interview out there.