Herpeto

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2003
Visit site
Status
Do anyone in the know actually know if it is realistic to get a first job after residency out West starting at at least $180K?

Also, has anyone ever actually know of anyone working all their shifts in the first three weeks of the month and taking the last week off every month?

What is most people’s opinion of working the night shifts? Would they rather not have to do it? If one was willing to work all the night shifts, could they use that as leverage to get that last week off ever month?

Thanks

jojo14

living the dream
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I don't know about the $ question. There is a doc at my home institution who only works nights- he gets first pick of nights every month, and he works something like 14 shifts/month. In his case, only working nights gives him significant leverage over the flexibility of his schedule.

roja

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2003
NYC--->San Francisco
Status
Attending Physician
Herpeto said:
Do anyone in the know actually know if it is realistic to get a first job after residency out West starting at at least $180K?

Also, has anyone ever actually know of anyone working all their shifts in the first three weeks of the month and taking the last week off every month?

What is most people’s opinion of working the night shifts? Would they rather not have to do it? If one was willing to work all the night shifts, could they use that as leverage to get that last week off ever month?

Thanks
1- yes
2- depends on where you are going

About the Ads

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2002
Las Vegas, NV
Status
Attending Physician
You can get 180+ pretty easily.

You couldn't do the last week off every month thing in my group but there are others that you could. You can use the night offer to better your chances. One thing you learn in the job hunt is that almost everything is negoiatable (can't spell, no time to look it up).

GeneralVeers

Stable Genius
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2005
Las Vegas
Status
Attending Physician
docB said:
You can get 180+ pretty easily.

You couldn't do the last week off every month thing in my group but there are others that you could. You can use the night offer to better your chances. One thing you learn in the job hunt is that almost everything is negoiatable (can't spell, no time to look it up).

If by "West" you mean California, then yes, it's easy to get $180K from residency. Most of the jobs here pay between $180-$220K depending on benefits. It's difficult to make much more than that, as the job market here is highly competitive. Midwest or Southeast are the best areas if you want to make money. $300-400K is not unheard of there.

EctopicFetus

Keeping it funky enough
15+ Year Member
May 3, 2004
Arizona
Status
Attending Physician
Add in Oklahoma and texas as big money states..

Met a guy (grad from my school) who was getting 225 to start in the burbs of chicago..

In tucson i met some guys who work out in the community making $137 per hour not including their benefits and mal is covered.. they were 1st yr attendings..

About the Ads