1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

In the Know?

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by Herpeto, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Herpeto

Herpeto Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Do anyone in the know actually know if it is realistic to get a first job after residency out West starting at at least $180K?

Also, has anyone ever actually know of anyone working all their shifts in the first three weeks of the month and taking the last week off every month?

What is most people’s opinion of working the night shifts? Would they rather not have to do it? If one was willing to work all the night shifts, could they use that as leverage to get that last week off ever month?

Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jojo14

jojo14 living the dream
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't know about the $ question. There is a doc at my home institution who only works nights- he gets first pick of nights every month, and he works something like 14 shifts/month. In his case, only working nights gives him significant leverage over the flexibility of his schedule.

4. roja

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    1- yes
    2- depends on where you are going

5. docB

docB Chronically painful
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You can get 180+ pretty easily.

You couldn't do the last week off every month thing in my group but there are others that you could. You can use the night offer to better your chances. One thing you learn in the job hunt is that almost everything is negoiatable (can't spell, no time to look it up).

6. GeneralVeers

GeneralVeers Globus Hystericus
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

If by "West" you mean California, then yes, it's easy to get $180K from residency. Most of the jobs here pay between $180-$220K depending on benefits. It's difficult to make much more than that, as the job market here is highly competitive. Midwest or Southeast are the best areas if you want to make money. $300-400K is not unheard of there.

7. EctopicFetus

EctopicFetus Keeping it funky enough
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Add in Oklahoma and texas as big money states..

Met a guy (grad from my school) who was getting 225 to start in the burbs of chicago..

In tucson i met some guys who work out in the community making $137 per hour not including their benefits and mal is covered.. they were 1st yr attendings..