• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

investing101

Dec 3, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi,

When I was around 12 I was diagnosed with TB, none of my parents have it so I am guessing it had to be transmitted when I lived in Central America. Now, I want to volunteer this summer and obviously become a doctor in the future.

How does having TB affect me in my career path? How about volunteering in a hospitol?

dd128

10+ Year Member
May 30, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hi,

When I was around 12 I was diagnosed with TB, none of my parents have it so I am guessing it had to be transmitted when I lived in Central America. Now, I want to volunteer this summer and obviously become a doctor in the future.

How does having TB affect me in my career path? How about volunteering in a hospitol?

It's not an application killer by any means, but could be problematic in a few regards, I'm not sure what the process for volunteering in a hospital is with a positive history of TB, I know they tend to have issues with that. What do you mean diagnosed with TB? Did you have a positive CXR or just a ppd? Have any symptoms now? If you are fine now, and can show you've received treatment and have an unchaged CXR from a previous year you might be ok.

About the Ads

O2Doc

Jan 21, 2011
Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hi,

Dude, the skin test tells you if you were exposed - whether the infection is active or if you had TB in the past (or possibly were vaccinated against TB). In North America it's not standard procedure to go "hey look, you have TB. Well, see ya." If you were actively infected you would have been treated. Did you get any follow-up testing at all? Ever have repeat skin testing?

investing101

Dec 3, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Dude, the skin test tells you if you were exposed - whether the infection is active or if you had TB in the past (or possibly were vaccinated against TB). In North America it's not standard procedure to go "hey look, you have TB. Well, see ya." If you were actively infected you would have been treated. Did you get any follow-up testing at all? Ever have repeat skin testing?

I had a repeat skin test but it is going to be positive regardless. I remember taking some pills for like 9 months. I am going for an x ray tomorrow since I don't remember much being that I was really young when they tested everyone in school.

theseeker4

PGY 3
7+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2011
Suburban Detroit, MI
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I had a repeat skin test but it is going to be positive regardless. I remember taking some pills for like 9 months. I am going for an x ray tomorrow since I don't remember much being that I was really young when they tested everyone in school.
You should be fine. You took the proper course of antibiotics, and when your x-ray comes back clean, you should be cleared to work without any issues. If your x-ray isn't clean, they will treat it, but that isn't very likely.

TheMightySmiter

7+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Your TB history will make working and volunteering at hospitals more annoying, but won't disqualify you unless you have active TB. You'll say you've had a history of TB and positive PPD, and then they'll skip the skin test and give you a chest x-ray to make sure you're clear. Like I said, annoying but not detrimental.

GiantFetus

Dec 17, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
It will make your clinical experiences very annoying for the first month. Skip the ppd if possible and get a chest xray every time like others have said. You have to ask for this. Every ppd I have ever been asked to have has read a false positive, the resulting paperwork and dept of health has been a load of shenanigans since day one.

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I believe at my institution if you self-disclose previous exposure (the ppd might give you away anyway, but since you were exposed over a decade ago, maybe not) you automatically get a CXR. That's a better option, anyway, just to quickly "prove" you aren't latent.

My dad had to have a CXR done annually because he was infected as a kid. It was a hassle but not surmountable.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.