In the merge of APPLYING! I need serious help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToBeDr.IndecisiveGirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If I were you, I would wait a cycle and apply early the following year. Maybe take a few extra courses to nudge that GPA up a little more, or perhaps take some time to go on an adventure that will add some more dimension to your application (and heck, to your life in general). The California schools are going to be a hard sell no matter what (highest IS applicant to available seat ratio), and I believe UCR does not take OOS.

You're young; there is no need to rush through the application process. You have PLENTY of time.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
With a MCAT like that add in some more top 50 schools

Cant speak as to whether or not apply this year or the next (though I would apply this year if I were in your position)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're not a California resident, there's a 90%+ chance that you won't even get looked at -- may not want to waste your money and time. But, I'm sure the UC's would love your donation.

Source: I'm a Cali resident and didn't get looked at (and my ilk is n=144,034,002,948,029)

Are you (and your school's registrar) positive that the high school course is counted on your college transcript? Unless you were applying the AP for college credit, I don't see any reason it should affect your undergrad GPA. Even if you did want to apply it to for college credit, I'm not sure why they would accept a course that you failed. If you need the credits for graduation requirements, take something else.

However, even with the sub 3.5 GPA, that MCAT is your saving grace. Shoot for schools in the top 50 - 15 (Mt. Sinai, Case Western, U. Rochester, Ohio State), your state school, and be sure to apply to Wash U. Maybe Duke, some low GPA high MCAT applicants seem to have had success with at least getting IIs there. Don't expect any love from CA schools and definitely take UW off the list.

I'd say you have a very promising application, but would advise that you get your personal statement and secondary essays heavily proofread before submitting(in the merge ---> on the verge? in the midst?; morge ---> morgue; etc...not that what you write in the wee hours of the morning is representative, but still, the more eyes on your work the better). And don't be afraid to take time off after college to work, travel, volunteer, and generally be a young person not in school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
If you're not a California resident, there's a 90%+ chance that you won't even get looked at -- may not want to waste your money and time. But, I'm sure the UC's would love your donation.

Source: I'm a Cali resident and didn't get looked at (and my ilk is n=144,034,002,948,029)
If I were you, I would wait a cycle and apply early the following year. Maybe take a few extra courses to nudge that GPA up a little more, or perhaps take some time to go on an adventure that will add some more dimension to your application (and heck, to your life in general). The California schools are going to be a hard sell no matter what (highest IS applicant to available seat ratio), and I believe UCR does not take OOS.

You're young; there is no need to rush through the application process. You have PLENTY of time.

Best of luck!

California is out of my list completely. No more beaches ;( LoL

but anyways wouldn't a gap semester hurt my application? I mean if I were to graduate fall 2016?

California is out of my list completely. No more beaches ;( LoL

but anyways wouldn't a gap semester hurt my application? I mean if I were to graduate fall 2016?

If you can actually get your GPA to ~3.6 by the end of your summer course, I would imagine that bump combined with your stellar MCAT would make additional courses beyond the summer unnecessary. My main concern is that if you hold off on applying until your summer transcript can be included, you probably won't get verified until the end of August or early September, which means you'll be submitting secondaries throughout September. It's not impossible to have a successful application cycle on that timeline, but it would be an uphill battle that you wouldn't have to fight by taking a gap year and applying early next cycle.

The one caveat to taking a gap year is that it should be focused: You could travel, participate in research, volunteer with a cause that you're passionate about (doesn't have to be clinical) ... anything that you could discuss intelligently if an interviewer were to ask you what you've been up to for the last year.

Ultimately, the decision about when to apply is up to you, and you're going to be much more familiar with your most logical timeline than a stranger on the Internet. My .02 is just that finding the right timing within rolling admissions is one of the most easily controllable facets of your application, and you should work that to your advantage.

Also, even if you don't apply to the CA schools, the hope of staying close to the beach does not have to be dead! Have you looked at any Florida schools, or EVMS? (Although Norfolk itself isn't my favorite town, nearby Virginia Beach is pretty cool.)

Reactions: 1 users
The following are poor options:
UCD- did not take a single OOS person two years ago
UCR- no OOS
GW- low yield 13.6k
U W -------- Probably not applying since I'm not from Washington nor am I near it. They favor NW applicants unless you are in one of the states they give preference to it would be a total waste.
Boston- low yield 9.8k applicants
Drexel-low yield 13.3k
Georgetown- Low yield 12.3k

As for UCI: I don't know where people are getting this idea that they favor in-state. Straight from their FAQ:

Does the School of Medicine give preference to California residents? »
No. The admissions committee uses the same criteria to evaluate applicants whether they are in-state or out-of-state residents.

Source: http://www.meded.uci.edu/admissions/faq.asp

UCD and UCR are probably the only UCs that should be avoided by every OOS applicants (I'm not implying that you should apply to the other ones). Matriculation rate does not always imply favorability!

Creighton- service based you do have decent amount of volunteering so look into this more

I could help you improve your list tomorrow if you'd like.

I'm a resident in Oregon so I can most likely shoot for my home schools. Would that be a good idea ?

YES. This. OHSU has strong IS bias, so that will give you a huge leg up.

As far as whether you should apply this year ... it's really hard to say. In my opinion, August is a bit of a gray area when it comes to being "late" versus "early."

If you can actually get your GPA to ~3.6 by the end of your summer course, I would imagine that bump combined with your stellar MCAT would make additional courses beyond the summer unnecessary. My main concern is that if you hold off on applying until your summer transcript can be included, you probably won't get verified until the end of August or early September, which means you'll be submitting secondaries throughout September. It's not impossible to have a successful application cycle on that timeline, but it would be an uphill battle that you wouldn't have to fight by taking a gap year and applying early next cycle.

The one caveat to taking a gap year is that it should be focused: You could travel, participate in research, volunteer with a cause that you're passionate about (doesn't have to be clinical) ... anything that you could discuss intelligently if an interviewer were to ask you what you've been up to for the last year.

Ultimately, the decision about when to apply is up to you, and you're going to be much more familiar with your most logical timeline than a stranger on the Internet. My .02 is just that finding the right timing within rolling admissions is one of the most easily controllable facets of your application, and you should work that to your advantage.

Also, even if you don't apply to the CA schools, the hope of staying close to the beach does not have to be dead! Have you looked at any Florida schools, or EVMS? (Although Norfolk itself isn't my favorite town, nearby Virginia Beach is pretty cool.)
YES. This. OHSU has strong IS bias, so that will give you a huge leg up.

As far as whether you should apply this year ... it's really hard to say. In my opinion, August is a bit of a gray area when it comes to being "late" versus "early."

That's true :( I'm also considered a resident in Nevada so that's another good pointer if I apply to UNR. And yes August would be the only time I'd have my application completley done. And like I said before I don't want to be a reapplicant.

What I was thinking of doing, is to apply to like 8 schools on August. Ie. State school other state school, 6 more schools with high OOS acceptance ? And if I don't have a good cycle then I'll apply next year with different schools where I'm not a reapplicant. ( or would I still be a reapplicant for all schools?) Any suggestions ? Would that be a better idea ?

The following are poor options:
UCD- did not take a single OOS person two years ago
UCR- no OOS
GW- low yield 13.6k
U W -------- Probably not applying since I'm not from Washington nor am I near it. They favor NW applicants unless you are in one of the states they give preference to it would be a total waste.
Boston- low yield 9.8k applicants
Drexel-low yield 13.3k
Georgetown- Low yield 12.3k

As for UCI: I don't know where people are getting this idea that they favor in-state. Straight from their FAQ:

Does the School of Medicine give preference to California residents? »
No. The admissions committee uses the same criteria to evaluate applicants whether they are in-state or out-of-state residents.

Source: http://www.meded.uci.edu/admissions/faq.asp

UCD and UCR are probably the only UCs that should be avoided by every OOS applicants (I'm not implying that you should apply to the other ones). Matriculation rate does not always imply favorability!

Creighton- service based you do have decent amount of volunteering so look into this more

I could help you improve your list tomorrow if you'd like.

Yes. Of course. I'm aways looking for help :) I PM you !

And if I don't have a good cycle then I'll apply next year with different schools where I'm not a reapplicant. ( or would I still be a reapplicant for all schools?)

You would only be a reapplicant at the schools you apply to this cycle if you choose to apply.

That's true :( I'm also considered a resident in Nevada so that's another good pointer if I apply to UNR. And yes August would be the only time I'd have my application completley done. And like I said before I don't want to be a reapplicant.

What I was thinking of doing, is to apply to like 8 schools on August. Ie. State school other state school, 6 more schools with high OOS acceptance ? And if I don't have a good cycle then I'll apply next year with different schools where I'm not a reapplicant. ( or would I still be a reapplicant for all schools?) Any suggestions ? Would that be a better idea ?

You've said several times that you don't want to be a re-applicant. But by applying late this year or with a lower GPA, you are not maximizing your chances. Continuing to take UG coursework will bring up your GPA, which appears to be the only weak spot in your application -- clearly improving your changes.

That and you're only 19. For some AdComs, that may be perceived as a disadvantage (relative dearth of life experience even if immaturity is not a problem). Choosing to GET more life experience would very likely be perceived as a wise move. Not to mention how applying early one cycle later would help your chances.

So - Shaky or Shoe-in? If you truly don't want to be a re-applicant, you know which is the better choice.

Reactions: 2 users
Wait a year and do everything possible to raise the GPA. After that then apply first thing next year and get ready to bask in the glow of (most likely) multiple scholarship offers.

GPA isn't that low and you have a good story for it and an upward trend. You're fine...apply for your LizzyM (which doesn't close many doors for you), don't waste money on CA schools if you've got no ties, and progress as normal. Honestly, your list is too low-tier and doesn't take into account those who prefer holistic review (search Goro's post history for a good list).

Your biggest issue is going to be attention to detail (you have many odd spelling/phrasing errors) and demonstrating maturity given your young age. That's not necessarily a bad thing by itself, but I actually found myself *looking* for your age to explain the exuberant/flamboyant posting style combined with the phrasing issues, so keep that in mind while writing essays. You've got the time to wait, so DO that...not so much for your GPA, which again really isn't that low and has good context to it, but more because this is a horrible time of year to apply and you need to take your time, develop patience, and make sure that your application shows you to be a mature, patient, conscientious applicant.