In their secondary essays, did anyone write "X is my first choice?"

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by qweewq11, Oct 27, 2002.

1. qweewq11

qweewq11 Smiley orgy organizer
    7+ Year Member

Some secondary apps have questions such as: "Why do you want to attend our medical school?"

Did anyone write, in their essay, "Your medical school is my number one choice" (assuming it is).

I don't want to sound tacky, but there is one med school that I would rather attend over any other, and I am wondering whether it is something to put in the secondary essay or something to save for the interview...

tia :clap:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dreamin

Dreamin Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yes, I wanted my #1 school to know that they are my first choice. If you support why it's your number one in the essay, then I don't think you will sound tacky at all. Just be sincere, but I would only do it if you would definately go there if they accepted you.

4. UCLA2000

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't think that it would be appropriate until you've interviewed at the school. Many an impression of a school will change after an interview.

5. poloace

poloace Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

also- know that schools communicate with each other... if you let one school know that its your first choice, other schools may find out- possibly looking down on you... so, i suggest not doing it unless you are really really really sure that's where you want to go.
    p

6. Neuronix

Neuronix Total nerd
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I did it for UPenn. I got an interview there. Of course I have some real good reasons for it being my #1 choice, but I didn't find it tacky at all.

7. lll505

lll505 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I did it for a school that takes only 20 out of state people a year b/c I know they don't interview many out of staters. It is the truth and I also did not and do not plan on saying that to any other schools.

If it is the truth, and there is a good reason why it is your first choice, you might as well let them know it.

8. siempre595

7+ Year Member

I think it's fine as long as you have reasons to back up your answer. I stated my first choice in an essay for WashU because I'm a WashU undergrad. They ask about prior contact with the school, so I talked about how it had been a great experience and would love to stay. Don't just write that a school is a first choice, be sure and say why.