In this topic, straight/middle class/white people talk about diversity essays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChrisMack390

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just thought people could bounce ideas off of each other in here. My kneejerck reaction to "do you consider yourself someone who will contribute diversity to our class?" is "...not really" but that doesn't make for a very good admissions essay lol.

I am considering using one or a combination of the following ideas:

1. I am the first member of my family to get a college degree, and I come from very working class roots. My father and both grandfathers were police officers, lots of my family enlisted in the military, and the others have various "blue collar" professions. I could write about this giving me a different view of the world and more thoroughly understanding the lives of more average Americans.

2. I was a somewhat serious musician for a while. I went on tour, released an album, etc. This is my "coolest" experience, but it feels a bit convoluted wrapping it into contributing to the class. I could talk about how I practiced a skill for a million hours, interacted with all different kinds of people, and maybe even my experiences putting together concerts and festivals as a potential "contribution" to the class when the question is phrased that way.

3. I am currently working on projects related to cancer care in Africa and India, including starting up a non-profit foundation to fund related procedures in this area. This has given me some insight on cultural and other roadblocks to providing care, working with a team to start a business, etc. This is both "cool" and medically relevant, but I'm not sure that it actually makes me "diverse".

I would love feedback on my ideas and would be happy to provide some for yours!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I agree. #2 sounds the best. People will be interested in asking you many questions about this.

Also, what kind of music did u play? I was in a rock band in HS and it was an amazing experience

I agree. #2 sounds the best. People will be interested in asking you many questions about this.

Also, what kind of music did u play? I was in a rock band in HS and it was an amazing experience

I made electronic music (house, drum and bass, dubstep, some hiphop/triphop) and my live performances were a combination of DJing and playing the bass and keyboard live. Occasionally had a live guitarist with me too.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@Astra118 @wolfofparkstreet - I should note that I already used music as one of my "most meaningful experiences" on AMCAS. I could probably talk about it in a different way for this essay though.

I made electronic music (house, drum and bass, dubstep, some hiphop/triphop) and my live performances were a combination of DJing and playing the bass and keyboard live. Occasionally had a live guitarist with me too.
I like number 2 as well. I find myself in a similar position, and am going with my non-traditional major (women's studies) or my time spent running a cooking and baking blog. Anything that makes you stand out and shaped your perspective counts as diversity!

No brainer. Go with this one.

2. I was a somewhat serious musician for a while. I went on tour, released an album, etc. This is my "coolest" experience, but it feels a bit convoluted wrapping it into contributing to the class. I could talk about how I practiced a skill for a million hours, interacted with all different kinds of people, and maybe even my experiences putting together concerts and festivals as a potential "contribution" to the class when the question is phrased that way.

I wrote about my artistic endeavours and communities I have been involved with. I talked about the people I interacted with within these artistic communities, the projects we were able to accomplish together, etc. These topics came up more than anything else during my interviews.

Didn't read replies, just chiming in.

"Diversity" from their POV is more than just race and/or ethnicity. It's diversity of ideas/experiences that they're more interested in. If these stem from your race/ethnicity, that's fine. But like you wrote in #2, being a serious, traveling musician is something a lot of people don't do. What did that experience tell you about yourself and how would you apply what you learned there to your medicine?

I will read it for you.

Also, I think number 2 if you can say something really articulate an professional about it.

If not, I like number 1, if you can be PC enough with it.

Also, number 3 I don't think is the best. If it was all you had, sure.