Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

in turmoil- feedbacks and criticisms are greatly appreciated!!

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by Suzie, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Suzie

Pre-Medical
    .Any response would be greatly appreciated..
    . .
    .I am a sophomore at a top 20 university. I know that the rank of colleges do not matter when applying to med. School, so I am quite freaked out since all my counterparts at state universities are pulling off 3.8 and 9’s. I also messed up two semesters. .
    . .
    .Freshmen year was not as bad as I thought, B+ in chemistry, B- in biology, A- in calc, I had room for improvements, ended up with a 3.6 for the sem. Then second semester was when it all collapsed. Relationship breakup really affected my mentality, never had the courage to seek counseling, I took up drinking. Ended up with mono during finals week, and ended up with F in calc II, B- in chemistry, C- in Bio. Situations at home turned worse, parents were never encouraging, so I started sophomore yr first sem with a lot of pressure. Hoping to make my EC look better, I took up a research job 20 hours a week (I stopped drinking completely). Instead of doing better I did just the same, C+ in orgo I, B- in Neurobiology. .
    . .
    .I am starting off the next sem with optimism, and planning to finally seek counseling. I am continuing the research job over next sem, the summer and the next year. My PI has many papers planned over the next year, so I may have the chance of being included in one of the publications. I am also shadowing one of the MD fellow in the lab for two months… .
    . .
    .Medicine is the only thing I would like to do in the future. I plan to retake calc and bio II, and orgo I… please give me some feedback or encouragements or criticism .J.… I would really appreciate it… I plan to work my hardest over the next three semesters, I mean it’s the only thing I can do… but I would like to know would I still have a chance? What do you guys think? Do you know anyone of such cases similar to mine? Would I be able to explain myself on the application? .
    . .
    .Can you guys also provide me with some study tips?.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    What is your overall GPA after three semesters?

4. cavalier329

Pre-Medical
    Seems like you recognized some problems in your life and took the steps to get help. I think that is the biggest obstacle you needed to overcome and you are doing it. My sincerest congratulations and wishes of good luck from here on out.

My advice is to ignore your past from here on out to a point. Don't let that stress take over, but let it only be a point of reference for your future academic work. You are making a new start in your life. Do the best you can. What I did after my crappy first year was that I worked hard enough each semester so that when I looked back at my grades, I was able to say without hesitation that there was nothing I would change. There was NOT ONE TIME when I thought I shouldnt have gone out or that I should have studied more for an exam. I sacrificed a lot, but it is paying off. Work hard, don't look back, do whatever it takes, make sacrifices. I assure you, the sacrifices suck, but I hope it will all be worth it in the end.

As for study tips...I think this varies from person to person. I personally take everything to a very quiet location in the library without distractions (food, people, etc) and just work and study. I give myself 1 day a week to sit back and unwind and then I get back to it.

Most importantly...SLEEP! Most people think pulling all nighters is worth it. I disagree. You need your sleep to retain information. Make sure you leave time to sleep. Plan your schedule 2 weeks in advance and STICK TO IT. If you dont procrastinate there should be no reason to miss out on sleep.

Study for exams 5 days in advance. You dont have to go hardcore 5 days before, but at least start organizing and reviewing notes for a few hours.

Thats the best advice I can give. Good luck to you. I have confidence that if you want it bad enough, you can get it. Don't give up but keep your personal health number 1 on your list.

5. Suzie

Pre-Medical
    to Mobius: overall is now 2.997 sGPA is pretty much alot worse for the F for calc...

to Cavalier: thank you so much for the words of encouragement!! :) I realized dwelling on the past wont do me any good...

6. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Of course you still have a chance. With three more semesters of straight As, you can pull up your GPA to a near 3.5. With an additional year of great grades, after a total of eitght semesters, you can be at a competitive 3.6. If there are a few glitches along the way, you can go to summer school, or spend a fifth year in college. If you have your head together and are very determined and don't get side-tracked with too many hours doing extracurriculars (like the lab), you can succeed. If you aren't yet prepared to excel, take a semester off of school and work intensively with a counselor, rather than further dropping your GPA. Or take a smaller course load so you won't be overly-challenged while you figure out your study strategy. After all, this process isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. There's no rush.

For some inspiration, consider reading the above poster's story: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=588740