INBDE preparation at age 38 .Am I too old for INBDE exam and dental college admissions ????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zindagi124

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am 38 yrs old preparing for INBDE for 2021/2022 cycle .
My question is am I too old for dental college admission it’s been 14 yrs since I am out of dentistry no observership , no volunteer work in field of dentistry .
Will this gap affect my application ?
Any advices how to prepare for INBDE USA exam ?
How to make my application more competitive ?
Any motivational thing?
It’s not easy to study with young kids and family .
Any advice and suggestion is welcome .

Members don't see this ad.

Ask yourself if you are in a good enough financial situation to carry $300K debt and if you are willing to relocate to pay it off faster
If you are broke with family to support, choose an easier path of dental hygiene. Seriously. Not very glamorous, but good enough
In order to be successful and efficient everyone in your life has to help: you will need more time to prepare, more material to purchase, which is expensive. You might need several attempts for exams and application cycles. Are you and your family prepared for sacrifice?
Agewise - 38 is not old, as long as you are in fairly good health

Reactions: 1 users
38 years old is not old at all, think about how many years you’re still going to work until you retire. If being a dentist is what you want I think that’s what you’re gotta focus on, I wouldn’t waste time being a dental hygiene or a dental assistant. As far as the application being accepted you’re only going to know that if you apply, I say go for it. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
38 years old is not old at all, think about how many years you’re still going to work until you retire. If being a dentist is what you want I think that’s what you’re gotta focus on, I wouldn’t waste time being a dental hygiene or a dental assistant. As far as the application being accepted you’re only going to know that if you apply, I say go for it. Good luck.
Thanks for the positive reply I appreciate it

Hi. I am 41yo with a master's. It's been 16 years since graduation. Passing the boards was an odyssey. I had a lot on my plate when I decided to take them. I took part 1 three times (pass last January,) and pass part 2 in august. Yes, August 2020, so I barely had time to apply to those programs which required it.

I applied to in-state institutions which are cheaper than out of state. Also, I applied to a couple of out of state but, no private or more than 50K in tuition. Getting into a 300K+ debt at this stage is too much for me at this stage. It's never too late, but be realistic about your options. I rejected a dental hygiene program, not my thing but an option for who wants to go that path.

If this is your passion, ask for support, check your finances, be realistic, and GO FOR IT!!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi. I am 41yo with a master's. It's been 16 years since graduation. Passing the boards was an odyssey. I had a lot on my plate when I decided to take them. I took part 1 three times (pass last January,) and pass part 2 in august. Yes, August 2020, so I barely had time to apply to those programs which required it.

I applied to in-state institutions which are cheaper than out of state. Also, I applied to a couple of out of state but, no private or more than 50K in tuition. Getting into a 300K+ debt at this stage is too much for me at this stage. It's never too late, but be realistic about your options. I rejected a dental hygiene program, not my thing but an option for who wants to go that path.

If this is your passion, ask for support, check your finances, be realistic, and GO FOR IT!!
Thanks for practical advice

Did you receive any interview invite from any dental school yet ??

it's never too late! I know 50 year olds going for the AS programs. all with families and kids and they are managing just fine
best of luck! keep your hopes high

I am a D3 and there is someone in my class that's in their late 40s, with three kids, has an executive position in the class and makes the schedule for the whole class as well as corrects the administrations schedule which is always wrong. In the D2 class there is also someone in their 40s. It's never too late. If you're worried about grades, don't. Passing is all that matters.....

Reactions: 1 user
Hi I am in same situation as you . I am 45 and thinking about NBDE .I am really confused nervous ..........................

Yes of course you can; age is not an excuse to not follow your dreams!
I know two people who are your age and doing great in dentals school! and we had a student who was in his 40 and 2 females' in late 30s, they actually do better than the rest of the students, they are probably work harder the test though, maybe not 10% top rank, but better than average if not more!
If you are in good physical shape and healthy, then by all means, don't you ever listen to doubters and follow your dreams.

You can do it!

Also, and this applies to everyone who wants to succeed in dental school:
Always exercise, eat healthy, sleep well, drink water, and have time for fun, not alway studying!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi I am in same situation as you . I am 45 and thinking about NBDE .I am really confused nervous ..........................
I would not recommend, unless you can pay for your school now in full from the savings

Yes of course you can; age is not an excuse to not follow your dreams!
I know two people who are your age and doing great in dentals school! and we had a student who was in his 40 and 2 females' in late 30s, they actually do better than the rest of the students, they are probably work harder the test though, maybe not 10% top rank, but better than average if not more!
If you are in good physical shape and healthy, then by all means, don't you ever listen to doubters and follow your dreams.

You can do it!

Also, and this applies to everyone who wants to succeed in dental school:
Always exercise, eat healthy, sleep well, drink water, and have time for fun, not alway studying!
Thank you for your encouragement . people discourage thinking about loans and effort .
do you have an advice as to how I should prepare ? i mean study material to follow ?

Thank you for your encouragement . people discourage thinking about loans and effort .
do you have an advice as to how I should prepare ? i mean study material to follow ?
please please do respond . Im struggling all alone .

My question is am I too old for dental college admission it’s been 14 yrs since I am out of dentistry no observership , no volunteer work in field of dentistry .
Any motivational thing?
If you are truly wish nothing impossible.
Yes indeed it is hard but still doable.
You should ask yourself if you want it.
In regards to INBDE use the facebook groups and instagram dental boards they are really helpful resources where you can also find a study partners which will help you.
gap-yes it might affect but if you can explain why it occurs , they might skip it.
start to build up your resume with dental related experience. DO volunteering CE courses shadowing etc.
it is really hard to balance family and dental school but if you family supports you , you will get trough.
motivation-nothing is easy but everything is possible !!
good luck whatever you choose.
PM if you have any Q

Any motivational thing?
Hi, are you in US ?