Inbreeding and politics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jargon124

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I have a question about inbreeding - as it pertains to medical students seeking residency as well as residents seeking fellowships. I know this will vary somewhat by institution and specialty, but I'm just looking for general thoughts on the topic.

I will be attending the University of Arizona next year for medical school. I am interested (let's say 75% sure) in staying here for residency (not sure which field yet, but it will most likely be a competitive one - rads/ortho/opthal maybe), possibly fellowship, and eventually for practice in Tucson. As a UA student do you think I will have "first dibs" on UA Programs? I understand that being a good candidate is of great importance (grades, boards, letters, etc) - and I will of course work hard in these regards. But, I also hear that there is a lot of political maneuvering involved sometimes in securing residency/fellowship positions. Can you guys suggest things I might do to put myself in a good position to get a choice residency at my home institution? Is this sometimes done outside of the match? Are "deals" struck such that the program will pull that position form the match if they want to fill it internally?

I guess all I am asking is, if one knows that they want to stay at their home school for residency, are there special channels that can be tapped to make this more likely to become a reality? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

i dont think there is that much wheeling and dealing when it comes to staying at your home school. THe most important thing to do is to do a good job during your 3rd and 4th years and don't piss anyone off or get into any major wars with any faculty/resident. Doing that much will get you 90% of the way into a home school residency.

To increase your chances i suggest getting a faculty advisor early in your career. Then keep contact with this person and let them know your goals. That gives you a contact in the system early, and also lets the faculty know about you...and vice versa.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by jargon124:
•Hi all. I have a question about inbreeding - as it pertains to medical students seeking residency as well as residents seeking fellowships. I know this will vary somewhat by institution and specialty, but I'm just looking for general thoughts on the topic.
•••••Most hospital residency programs give preference to students from the home medical school. Exceptions abound, especially in the highly competitive fields. Case in point, my home radiology and ortho programs traditionally take at most 1 student from my school. However, it's pretty easy for any student here to waltz into our IM program.

As for fellowships, you'll find that the slots for the more desirable ones often go first to the home candidate because he or she is a known quantitity.