Include a URL in a secondary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DSM_302.0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In a secondary I'm writing, I'd love to link to a case study I wrote. Anyone else include a URL in one of their essays?

Thanks and good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have heard of it being done and my drafts include one. I would be interested in hearing what others think.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I posted a response, then decided I didn't actually know what I was talking about lol. Can't delete the post itself, but you can edit it to a dot.

I'm confused, there's a delete button under every post I make:

Screen Shot 2017-07-23 at 12.55.30 PM.png

Delete is underlined ^^

Wouldn't it depend on the secondary question? If it's a Why X School essay, wouldn't that be a bit awkward? If it's a less formal prompt, depending on the actual prompt, it might be more appropriate? (I'm only speculating.)

I posted a response, then decided I didn't actually know what I was talking about lol. Can't delete the post itself, but you can edit it to a dot.
Idk why but this made me lol.

I dont see the point because nobody is going to do the extra work to type the URL into a laptop and read it.

Reactions: 2 users
If you were gonna do this I'd look into URL shorteners

I used tinyurl to add mine, and I have only added them to specific diversity essays where I talk about my design and renovation work. It's incredibly difficult to discuss something visual without providing a visual. The essays were written specifically without the URLs in mind so the essays can stand on their own. But if an adcom's interest is piqued, the URL provides a visual example of what I discuss. Also, it should be noted that the URL is a design website and is very visual - a gallery of images. So it requires no additional reading.

I included url for a YouTube video I uploaded. My logic was that the adcoms are viewing my file on a computer or tablet. They can just click on the link then. It certainly will add to the time they might spend to review my file, and they may choose to ignore it.
I put a sentence that says I think the video will allow the adcom to gauge the level of my dedication and involvement in music.

I did that on my application, and have included a short linked (not the original long URL but a much shorter link to save characters) on a video I appeared in.

I know some people do that with whatever online media they have (Youtube channel,podcast links, etc). If you have extra characters to spare, it wouldn't hurt.

Some people included their DOI of their publications. Not sure if that counts as a URL.