Include activities from high school (took dual enrollment)

May 11, 2020
Hi- I want sure if I could include activities from high school in my app. I’m aware that typically it’s advised not to unless continued through college.

However, I have activities that were not continued through college but I took 35 dual enrollment credits in high school (starting from the time I started my clinical ECs and lasting 4 semesters until I graduated) - would this count as “college” and allow me to include my 600 hours of clinical activity from high school?

Banco

5+ Year Member
May 28, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Nothing is stopping you from putting high school activities, but the conventional wisdom is not to do that.

With regards to dual-enrollment classes, yes those will be included in your GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
May 11, 2020
Nothing is stopping you from putting high school activities, but the conventional wisdom is not to do that.

With regards to dual-enrollment classes, yes those will be included in your GPA.
Thanks for your response.

So I understand those will be considered in my GPA. I’m asking if those ECs will be considered “high school” or “college” ECs due to the fact that I completed them while dual enrolling at a cc (took an avg of ~9 credits per semester over 4 semesters if that changes anything).

About the Ads

candbgirl

15+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status (Visible)
You were in High School when you did them. So high school. You were a High School student enrolled in Dual Enrollment courses.. (My niece is currently taking algebra at the local high school. She’s in 8th grade. Would she be considered a high school student? Nope. She’s an 8th grader.) You can certainly talk about them and tie them together in describing your path to medicine, if that is appropriate. Although you haven’t said that so maybe not. If you had 600 hours in high school, I’m sure you have more than enough current hours. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users

EdgeTrimmer

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Don't include If you didn't continue the same activity in college but you can talk about it in PS. Did you transfer dual credit classes to college?

Reactions: 1 user

Banco

5+ Year Member
May 28, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Thanks for your response.

So I understand those will be considered in my GPA. I’m asking if those ECs will be considered “high school” or “college” ECs due to the fact that I completed them while dual enrolling at a cc (took an avg of ~9 credits per semester over 4 semesters if that changes anything).

No, that would be high school.

Listen you can include it on your application, especially if it was an influence on your college/career path, but make sure to get clinical experience during college as well - 1 option would be to continue doing the activity into college. But remember it's not always about box checking, as you get older and more mature your experiences with medicine will help shape your view and whether you want to do it or not.

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Hi- I want sure if I could include activities from high school in my app. I’m aware that typically it’s advised not to unless continued through college.

However, I have activities that were not continued through college but I took 35 dual enrollment credits in high school (starting from the time I started my clinical ECs and lasting 4 semesters until I graduated) - would this count as “college” and allow me to include my 600 hours of clinical activity from high school?
Your dual enrollment was done before graduating HS and therefore will calculated as a separate GPA line for AMCAS. Generally until you graduate HS nothing is considered college. However, if you have something that is unusually significant you can mention it.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.