Include or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D1stant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
IMG, I failed my second year of medical school, hence low GPA.

Applying this year for surgery residency:
Q1) Should I address my failure in my Personal statement, and what I learned from it?
Q2) Should I address my failure in my LOR (or ask the LOR to address it?)?

Last minute changes here...

Members don't see this ad.

Your ahead of me in medical school, but as a person over 40 who's hired people before, I would recommend you address it in your PS. Address a specific weakness...."I am grateful for the opportunity that arose.......it helped me to refocus especially on the subject of ______________". Your PS can put a positive spin on it. Mention if you had family problems or something sympathetic. Don't mention personal or health problems, it might sound whiny.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Definitely address it in your personal statement. DON'T ask your LOR writers to address it! Their stellar evaluation of you will act as a balance to your PS. Explain it honestly, humbly, and briefly in your PS and then get the f*ck out.

Also, get your application in RIGHT NOW! Every day counts. You already missed the 9/15 opening date for ERAS, and you need to submit your applications BY MONDAY 9/21 or you are going to look super flaky and unorganized!

Reactions: 1 user