Including EC's during a gap year before college for Med School Application

Should I include this on my application?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wiesal

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2015
Status
Non-Student
I'm taking two gap years before college. During the 2nd year, I gain full-time employment as a medical assistant at a dermatology clinic. I believe it developed me as a person as I learned to interact with various patients (both nice and rude), became more disciplined as this was my first job, and gained a lot of exposure to medicine and how a private practice is ran.

Can I include this on my application? I won't be continuing this job during my undergraduate years as this is only available with full-time hours.

Lingering

2+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I would. If it's meaningful to you and you can talk about it during an interview/on your application I don't see why you wouldn't. Just because it's before undergrad doesn't discount the value of it. Now is it true that most pre-college student's experiences aren't significant enough? Yes.

But if you can justify it, why the hell not. Go for it buddy.

Reactions: Wiesal
OP
Wiesal

Wiesal

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2015
Status
Non-Student
I would. If it's meaningful to you and you can talk about it during an interview/on your application I don't see why you wouldn't. Just because it's before undergrad doesn't discount the value of it. Now is it true that most pre-college student's experiences aren't significant enough? Yes.

But if you can justify it, why the hell not. Go for it buddy.
Thank you so much!

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
I'm taking two gap years before college. During the 2nd year, I gain full-time employment as a medical assistant at a dermatology clinic. I believe it developed me as a person as I learned to interact with various patients (both nice and rude), became more disciplined as this was my first job, and gained a lot of exposure to medicine and how a private practice is ran.

Can I include this on my application? I won't be continuing this job during my undergraduate years as this is only available with full-time hours.
Yes.