Including EC's during a gap year before college for Med School Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I include this on my application?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wiesal

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking two gap years before college. During the 2nd year, I gain full-time employment as a medical assistant at a dermatology clinic. I believe it developed me as a person as I learned to interact with various patients (both nice and rude), became more disciplined as this was my first job, and gained a lot of exposure to medicine and how a private practice is ran.

Can I include this on my application? I won't be continuing this job during my undergraduate years as this is only available with full-time hours.

Members don't see this ad.

I would. If it's meaningful to you and you can talk about it during an interview/on your application I don't see why you wouldn't. Just because it's before undergrad doesn't discount the value of it. Now is it true that most pre-college student's experiences aren't significant enough? Yes.

But if you can justify it, why the hell not. Go for it buddy.

Reactions: 1 user
I would. If it's meaningful to you and you can talk about it during an interview/on your application I don't see why you wouldn't. Just because it's before undergrad doesn't discount the value of it. Now is it true that most pre-college student's experiences aren't significant enough? Yes.

But if you can justify it, why the hell not. Go for it buddy.
Thank you so much!

I'm taking two gap years before college. During the 2nd year, I gain full-time employment as a medical assistant at a dermatology clinic. I believe it developed me as a person as I learned to interact with various patients (both nice and rude), became more disciplined as this was my first job, and gained a lot of exposure to medicine and how a private practice is ran.

Can I include this on my application? I won't be continuing this job during my undergraduate years as this is only available with full-time hours.
Yes.