Medical Including fisherman experience on application

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
I was a fisherman for two years. Do I include that on my med school application? And how would I go upon writing about it?

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, presumably include that under work history.

Probably don’t talk about it in your personal statement (unless it really contributed to your desire to go into medicine), but I have to imagine there will be some relevant stories for secondary prompts like overcoming adversity and the like.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, list it under employment. And definitely talk about it if there's a secondary prompt that you can use for it. It's a cool/unusual experience compared to most of the boring/typical stuff med school applicants do.

When I was a resident, there was a surgery resident a year behind me who grew up in the circus and did high-wire unicyclng during summers in high school and college. You can bet your ass that was on her application somewhere. She also unicycled (uked?) to the hospital most days.

Reactions: 1 user
You could spin experience regarding the work ethic, patience, and ?team work required for such a job and say how that relates to your desire to pursue medicine. But you need the bridge which is the healthcare experience/volunteer/shadowing to tie it all in.

I played in a hardcore/metal band for years and toured and what not, I talked about the experience greatly in my medical school applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.