inclusion of high school accomplishments?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notanotherone

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know everyone says not to include anything you did in high school in your application/essay. but i'm having a hard time with this...

my situation is that i'm applying to med school now as a new colege gread. in high school i got involved in 2 medical research opportunities, one more clinical, one more basic science. neither one led to me being in a publication, but in my view they were still one of the first things that really told me that i could do medicine and like it. both experiences were about six months long, but again, its not like i did this full-time or anything. but i've been wanting to include the experiences even in my amcas essay because they seem important to me as a beginning of my interest in med.

so should i just choose something from college+ to focus on? it's hard to explain "why i want to be a doc" without at least mentioning them, if not focusing on them...

Members don't see this ad.

I started volunteering in high school and I intened to include that on my application. I would definitely add it.

include it in your PS. Accomplishments are for post secondary. If you are doing continuation of the projects then you can use them as start dates but if not leave them out.

I'd say include it in the essay, but I'd also include more recent activities. Don't make it the main focus of your essay, but there's nothing wrong with it if it really affected you.