Income between completion of requirements and graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ForestDental

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Is there a way to make some income working in the dental world if you finish your dental school graduation requirements a few months before actual graduation? I may finish three months in advance, and am trying to starting paying back these loans before I am able to begins practicing after graduation/licensure. I am also beginning a specialty program in July so it would be a temporary job between 3-4 months.

I assume some of you may have assisted in an office or something along those lines.

And please don't suggest travel destinations, I am looking for suggestions that involve providing an income.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

i don't think so. unless you want to work at wal mart.

Anything you make really won't put much of a dent in your student loans, so I would recommend you use whatever money you make for living expenses, etc. If you're starting a residency in July, you should take some time to relax and enjoy life for a bit. You will have the rest of your life to work.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard selling crack is a pretty good way to make some money...
:idea:

Fantastic answers so far guys.

But in all seriousness, I was wondering if anyone had come up with anything besides maybe assisting with a local familiar dentist. Has anyone found a working position at their respective dental school? Or maybe working with the ADA or ADEA?

Not that this post applies to everyone out there, but maybe some members have something legitimate that they can contribute and help give someone else an idea in the future.

And while relaxing and enjoying life while you can is a very valid idea, I think the Walmart and crack dealing guys are good examples of maybe too much relaxation.

You have obviously never sold crack before! You are on call more often than OMFS residents

You could look into working for a dental lab during that time.

I know a big full service lab that is always looking for help. They would happily hire someone in your situation for a limited time. You wouldn't make big bucks but you might learn a lot and make connections that could be useful later.

Does your state allow you to get a hygiene permit before graduation? I know at one time, some states allowed dental students to get hygiene permits and work after their jr. year.

I know a guy in the class ahead of me that finished early and ended up moonlighting as a hygienist in CA. I think you may have to take a licensing exam though. That lab thing sounds like a really good idea...wish I was finishing early!

you can work, it can be done. i worked at a local sales place for 2 years (end of 2nd-graduation). i made about $20,000 over that course of time. at an interest rate of either 6.8% or 7.85% this could easily double to $40,000. it can make a dent in your loans, you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.

Does anyone know for sure if getting licensed as a hygienist during your 4th year is really a viable option? I would like to know as well.

If you only have a couple of months before graduation.. applying for a dental hygiene license would take that whole time, and you won't have much time left to work. I say just take your time and enjoy being young. Once you start your residency.. and then on to real practice, you'll miss the days of being carefree.
I've been in practice 6 years. It's not that glorious being a dentist in private practice. With budget cuts in every corner, you'll have to work 3x harder than your senior dentists to make profit. Go ahead and enjoy life. A couple of thousand dollars won't make much of a difference.

Does anyone know for sure if getting licensed as a hygienist during your 4th year is really a viable option? I would like to know as well.